Type of Operation
A person who transports passengers in vehicles that are designed to transport no more than six passengers, excluding the driver.
- This permit authorizes your operations only in Virginia.
- You are limited to the use of vehicles with a seating capacity of no more than six passengers, excluding the driver.
- You cannot operate on a predetermined route.
- You cannot pick up passengers at a public transportation terminal (such as a bus station, airport, train, station, etc.) and deliver them to another public transportation terminal on a regular basis.
- You must comply with the ordinances of all cities and counties in which you operate.
- The number of this permit must appear in any advertisement for this service.
- Advertisements for your services may not contain untrue, misleading or deceptive information.
Note: As of 2017, legislation eliminated the statewide requirement for roof signs and markings for taxicabs. However, depending upon where you want to operate, jurisdictional/local taxicab ordinances may still include signage requirements.
Tariff and Time Schedule Requirements
$125,000 - Bodily Injury and Property Damage
Registration and License Plate Requirements
License Plates: For-Hire TAXI license plates
Vehicle Registration: Must be registered as "for-hire"
Operating Authority Registration: The operating authority information will be displayed on the vehicle registration card when the for-hire license plates are issued.
$50 permit fee
$3 Operating Authority Registration fee per vehicle
$3 for a duplicate permit
Address Change - You must report any new address to DMV's Motor Carriers Services within 30 days.
Discontinuing Service - If you go out of business or stop providing the service authorized, you must notify DMV in writing within 30 days.
Note: Anyone required to register as a sex offender for a sexually violent offense is prohibited from operating a taxicab for the transportation of passengers for compensation.