Type of Operation
A person who transports the general public to and from points of interest in Virginia primarily for the passengers' experience and enjoyment and/or to promote tourism.
- This certificate authorizes your operations only in Virginia.
- You must provide services to the general public without discrimination.
- You may not refuse service without good cause.
- You must operate only on a round -trip basis.
- You must issue a ticket that must display the points of interest and the round-trip fare.
- The number of this certificate must appear in any advertisement for this service.
- Advertisements for your services may not contain untrue, misleading or deceptive information.
Bodily Injury and Property Damage:
$350,000 - 1 to 6 passengers (including driver)
$1,500,000 - 7 to 15 passengers (including driver)
$5,000,000 - 16 or more passengers (including driver)
You must keep a $25,000 surety bond or letter of credit on file with DMV's Motor Carrier Services for three years from the date your operating authority certificate is issued. Refer to Passenger Carrier and Passenger Broker Bond (Form OA 435) or the Passenger Irrevocable Letter of Credit (Form OA 447).
Registration and License Plate Requirements
License Plates: For-Hire license plates
Vehicle Registration: Must be registered as for-hire
Operating Authority Registration:
- Non-apportioned (not IRP registered vehicles) - The operating authority information will be displayed on the vehicle registration card when the for-hire license plates are issued.
$50 filing fee
$3 Operating Authority Registration fee per vehicle
$3 for a duplicate certificate
Address Change - You must report any new address to DMV's Motor Carriers Services within 30 days.
Discontinuing Service - If you go out of business or stop providing the service authorized, you must notify DMV in writing within 30 days.