What is Escort Vehicle Driver Certification?
All escort vehicle operators are required to be certified prior to performing the duties of an oversize/overweight load escort vehicle operator in Virginia.
To qualify for the escort vehicle driver certification, a person must:
- Have a valid Virginia driver's license or valid license in the state or jurisdiction in which he or she is a resident
- Comply with the permit policy and regulations and all state traffic laws
- Have passed the escort vehicle driver's certification test and
- Pay a $25 certification fee
Applicants must complete an eight-hour classroom training course at an Escort Vehicle Driver Training School site before taking the escort vehicle driver certification test. Current certified escort vehicle drivers will be required to take the classroom training before they can renew their certifications. When applying for or renewing the escort vehicle driver certification, applicants must present proof of successful completion of the training course. The certificate is valid for five years.
Escort vehicle drivers are not required to be certified, if:
- They are officers of the Virginia State Police or law enforcement officials of any jurisdiction in Virginia that provides escort services.
- They are for military convoys or other federal or state government vehicles.
Where To Apply
Complete the application (HP 404) and take the test at any DMV customer service center. The Virginia Escort Driver's Manual (HP 405) will assist you in your preparation for the test. No appointment is necessary.
Original or renewal Escort Vehicle Driver Certification: $25
Duplicate or reissue Escort Vehicle Driver Certification: $15
Escort Vehicle Driver's Test
The Escort Vehicle Driver's Test will be administered through DMV's Knowledge Automated Testing System at DMV Customer Service Centers. The test is multiple-choice. You will know your test results upon completion of the test. You will receive your certification in the mail at a later date once your driver's license and driving record are validated.
Please allow at least 30 business days.
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Hauling Permit Section
P.O. Box 26302
Richmond, VA 23260
(804) 786-2787 x 2