DMV Locations Offering E-ZPass On-the-Go Kits
DMV offers convenient E-ZPass On-the-Go service at many DMV locations in the Northern Virginia, Tidewater and Richmond regions of Virginia. To find the location closest to you, refer to DMV Locations Selling E-ZPass Kits.
E-ZPass On-the-Go Kits
The E-ZPass On-the-Go kit costs $35 and contains an E-ZPass transponder pre-loaded with $15 that can be used immediately on toll roads in Virginia.
Retail transponders can be used immediately in Virginia but should be registered as soon as possible to enable use out-of-state and to claim the remaining $20 balance. To enable use out-of-state and to access the remaining $20, you must set up an E-ZPass account online at www.ezpassva.com or by phone at 1-877-762-7824.
Registering a Transponder
To register your transponder, you must provide:
- The ID numbers located on the transponder
- Contact information, including your driver's license number
- License plate and vehicle information
- Payment information, if you are setting up your account for automatic replenishment. The replenishment amount and replenishment threshold (low balance) levels are increased for each additional transponder added to your E-ZPass account
Each transponder comes with adhesive mounting strips and easy-to-follow instructions. Please follow these instructions carefully as your transponder must be correctly mounted in order to work properly.
Depending on location, DMV offers customers two types of transponders - E-ZPass Standard and E-ZPass Flex. Both transponder types can be used on all Virginia toll roads.
NOTE: Customers who have a Flex transponder issued after October 1, 2014 and who have not used the Flex transponder for HOV transactions on express lanes for any prior twelve-month period will be required to exchange the Flex transponder for a standard transponder (at no cost) or be subject to a one-time transponder functionality upgrade charge of $10.
Full E-ZPass Account Management at Some DMV Locations
DMV offers full E-ZPass account management at six customer service centers. These are:
- Chesterfield customer service center
- Fairfax/Westfields customer service center
- Gloucester customer service center
- Newport News customer service center
- Richmond Central customer service center
- Woodbridge customer service center
These DMV offices offer the full range of E-ZPass services, which includes:
- Account set-up
- Account management (change of address, updating statement options, adding vehicles, etc.)
- Account replenishment
- Closing accounts
- Violation processing
- Transponder return and replacement
Returning a Transponder
Most DMV offices are not able to accept returns of malfunctioning transponders. Customers wishing to return an E-ZPass transponder for any reason must visit either (1) an E-ZPass customer service center or the Gloucester or Newport News DMV customer service centers or (2) return the transponder via mail to:
E-ZPass Service Center
PO Box 1234
Clifton Forge, VA 24422-1234
For more information, visit www.ezpassva.com or call the toll-free number at 1-877-762-7824
Transponders remain the property of the Virginia Department of Transportation. When an account is closed, all transponders must be returned to an E-ZPass customer service center or the DMV Gloucester or Newport News customer service center. Otherwise, the customer will be liable for the lost/stolen fee ($10 for a standard transponder, $20 for a Flex transponder).