Type of Operation
Employee Hauler Carrier
A person who transports employees of a business to and from their place of work.
- This permit authorizes your operations only in Virginia.
- You are limited to transporting only the employees of the businesses listed on the permit to and from their place of employment.
- Before you can transport the employees of any business NOT listed on the permit, you must apply for and receive an amended permit from the Virginia DMV.
- You can only transport the employees from a predetermined location (home, bus stop, park & ride, etc.) to their place of business and from their place of business back to the pick-up location.
- You cannot transport the employees from one work location to another.
Tariff and Time Schedule Requirements
Bodily Injury and Property Damage:
- $350,000 - 1 to 6 passengers (including driver)
- $1,5000,000 - 7 to 15 passengers (including driver)
- $5,000,000 - 16 or more passengers (including driver)
Registration and License Plates Requirements
License Plates: For-Hire license plates
Vehicle Registration: Must be registered as "for-hire"
Operating Authority Registration:
- IRP Vehicles - Obtain operating authority decals as proof of operating authority registration
- All Other Vehicles - The operating authority information will be displayed on the vehicle registration card when the for-hire license plates are issued
$50 filing fee
$3 Operating Authority Registration fee per vehicle
$3 for a duplicate permit
Address Change - You must report any new address to DMV's Motor Carriers Services within 30 days.
Discontinuing Service - If you go out of business or stop providing the service authorized, you must notify DMV in writing within 30 days.