See the documents and forms you need to make your DMV visit a breeze!
Certified copies of Virginia vital records (birth, death, marriage and divorce) are available for purchase at all full service DMV locations, which include DMV customer service centers and DMV 2 Go mobile offices.
Who is Eligible
You may request a certificate for yourself or next of kin/immediate family, which includes mother, father, current spouse, child, brother or sister, and others under certain circumstances, with valid ID.
For more information on obtaining Virginia vital record documents, visit the VDH website at http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/Vital_Records/.
Apply In Person
- Visit any DMV customer service center.
- Complete either the "Virginia Birth Certificate Application" (DL 81) for birth certificates or the "Virginia Vital Record Application" (DL 82) for marriage, divorce and death certificates
- Present acceptable identification
- Pay a $14 records search fee
Note: This fee applies whether or not DMV is able to locate the record.
Eligible customers will leave DMV with the requested document in hand. If a vital record cannot be found or cannot be printed at DMV, DMV will immediately forward the customer's application to the Virginia Department of Health, Division of Vital Records (VDH) for further research. If available, VDH will mail the certificate(s) to the address on the application.
See Acceptable Vital Records Documents for information on required documents.
Apply by Mail
If you would prefer to mail in your Virginia Vital Records application, mail it directly to:
VDH Division of Vital Records
P. O. Box 1000
Richmond, VA 23218
Include with your application:
- A copy of your identification documents
- A fee of $12
- Check or money order, payable to Virginia Department of Health