Vehicles that qualify for apportioned registration fees include vehicles that:
- Travel in two or more IRP jurisdictions (including Virginia).
- Are used for transporting persons or property.
- Have a registered gross vehicle weight or actual weight in excess of 26,000 pounds (property carrying vehicle).
- Are a power unit with three (3) or more axles regardless of weight, including buses.
- Are used in combination and the actual weight of the combination exceeds 26,000 pounds.
Vehicles that are exempt from IRP registration include:
- Government-owned vehicles
- Trailers and semi-trailers
- Vehicles displaying restricted plates such as equipment, dealer or farm plates.
- Recreational vehicles, such as motor homes, that are not used in connection with a business.