To qualify for certification as a Third Party Examiner, you must:
- Be an employee of the third party tester
- Possess a valid Virginia commercial driver's license with the classification and endorsements required for operation of the class and type of commercial motor vehicle used in skills tests conducted by the examiner
- Within three years prior to application, have had no driver's license suspensions, revocations or disqualifications
- Have no more than six (6) demerit points on your driving record and not be on probation under the Virginia Driver Improvement Program
- Within three years prior to application, have had no conviction for any offense listed in § 46.2-341.18 or § 46.2-341.19, whether or not the offense was committed in a commercial motor vehicle
- If you are employed by a school board, be certified by the Virginia Department of Education as a school bus training instructor.
For more information, see legislation pertaining to third party testers under the Code of Virginia at § 46.2-341.14:01 thru 46.2-341.14:10.
Note: Third party examiners may be certified to conduct skills tests on behalf of only one third party tester at any given time. If a third party examiner leaves the employ of a third party tester, he/she must be recertified in order to conduct skills tests on behalf of a new third party tester.
How to Apply
To apply for certification as a Third Party Examiner, you must:
- Submit a Third Party Tester Examiner Certification Application (TPT 554)
- Submit a national criminal records check (FBI Record). A FBI record is required for each examiner at the time of application.
Records can be requested online from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) or by calling (304) 625-5590.
Evaluation by the Department
The Department will evaluate the materials submitted by the third party examiner applicant as well as the applicant's driving record. If the application materials and driving record are satisfactory, the Department will schedule the applicant for third party examiner training. Training may be waived if the applicant is seeking recertification only if they have changed employers.
Before submitting the application, use the Third Party Tester Program – Application Checklist (TPT 553A) to ensure that all necessary forms and documentation are complete and enclosed. Mail the completed application, documents and fees to
Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Training Work Center, Room 519
2300 West Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23220
The applications that must be submitted are listed below.
- Application for Third-Party Tester Certification of Skills Test Route (TPT 550)
- Instructions for Completing the Skills Test Route (TPT 550I)
- Application for Third Party Tester Certification (TPT 553)
- Third Party Tester Program – Application Checklist (TPT 553A)
- Third Party Tester Examiner Certification Application (TPT 554)
- Third-Party Tester Agreement (TPT 555)
- Surety Bond Affidavit and Acknowledgement of Surety (TPT 556)
- Extranet Transaction Access (US 532 E/ER)