If your commercial driver's license (CDL) or commercial learner's permit (CLP) or has been lost, stolen or damaged, you will need to get a replacement.
Renew or Replace?
If the expiration date on your CDL is less than one year away, you may choose to renew your CDL instead of replacing it. Learner's permits cannot be renewed.
REAL ID Compliant Credentials
Beginning May 7, 2025, you will need a REAL ID compliant credential (or another federally approved form of identification, like a U.S. Passport) to board a domestic flight or enter a secure federal facility.
REAL ID compliant CDLs and CLPs will look the same as today's cards except they will display a star in the top right corner of the credential, while non-compliant licenses and ID cards will display "Federal Limits Apply" on the face of the card. If you want a REAL ID, you'll need to visit DMV with the required documentation to apply. Review the documents you'll need to bring at REAL ID.
REAL ID is optional.
Removing the Vision Restriction
If you must wear glasses or contact lenses when you drive, your driver's license will show a vision restriction. To have the vision restriction removed after having LASIK surgery, you must either:
- Visit a DMV customer service center and pass the vision screening without wearing glasses or contact lenses.
- Submit the following by mail:
- A completed Commercial Driver's License Application
- A Vision Screening Report (MED 4) that has been signed by an ophthalmologist or optometrist within the last three months. The MED 4 must show that you meet the minimum visual requirements without wearing glasses or contact lenses.
- A $20 payment for the replacement CDL/$2 replacement CLP. We accept check or money order.
- Mail these items to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
CDL/NDR Work Center
P. O. Box 27412
Richmond, VA 23269-0001
DMV will process your request and send you a replacement CDL or CLP with the vision restriction removed.
The cost of replacement CDL is $20.
The cost of a replacement CLP is $2.
Get a Replacement CDL Online
You may get a replacement CDL or CLP online unless one or more of the following apply:
- Your credential is expired, cancelled, suspended, disqualified or revoked
- You need to change or correct the name on your credential
- You owe money to DMV for a prior transaction
- You need a new photo or you have a profile picture on your credential
- You have obtained a credential in another state
- You have already requested a replacement credential online today
- You are upgrading to a REAL ID compliant CDL
- You have a hazmat endorsement that has expired
- An updated medical examiner's certificate is required
If you get a replacement CDL or CLP online, DMV will use the photograph on your existing license. If you would like a new photo on your CDL or CLP, visit a customer service center.
Get a Replacement CDL or CLP at a Customer Service Center
To get a replacement CDL or CLP at a customer service center, you must:
- Make an appointment at a DMV customer service center.
- Complete the application for a commercial driver's license (DL2P). You may also apply to register to vote, change your voter registration address, or notify DMV of a change of address or name when you complete the application form.
- Present one proof of identity document. See Acceptable Documents for Obtaining a Driver's License or Photo ID Card for more information.
A new photo will be required.
Medical Certification Requirements
All CDL and CLP applicants must certify either that they are in compliance with the federal and Virginia motor carrier safety regulations or that they do not have to comply with them. You may refer to the Code of Federal Regulations for an explanation of these requirements or refer to Medical Certification Requirements.