In addition to meeting Virginia’s licensing requirements, all applicants for an original, renewal, or replacement CDL or commercial learner’s permit will also be required to present one of the following documents:
For U.S. Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents of the United States
- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
- Official birth document issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory (Birth documents issued by a hospital, notifications of birth registration, and foreign birth certificates are not accepted.)
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (FS-240)
- Certificate of Birth Abroad (FS-545)
- Certification of Report of Birth of a U.S. Citizen (DS-1350)
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
- Unexpired permanent resident card (I-551)
Note: If you have presented one of the documents above to DMV since January 1, 2004, you will not be asked to do so again.
For Applicants Domiciled in a Foreign Jurisdiction
- Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD Form I-766) (not acceptable for REAL ID)
- Unexpired foreign passport accompanied by an approved I-94 form documenting the most recent admittance into the U.S.