DMV encourages colleges to promote their special plates on their school website. Following is the information your web designer will need to display an image of your college plate and to link from your website directly to your college plate page on the DMV website. If you have problems or questions, feel free to contact us.
College Plate Images
Three different images of college plates are available on the DMV website.
- Small images are available on our college plate search page.
- Medium-sized images are available on the plate information page (go to the college plate search page link above, then click on your college plate to view the plate information page).
- Large images are available on our plate purchase page.
Note: Small and medium-sized images have the word "Sample" on the image. Large images are blank. You can add a personalized message to your plate image using a graphics program such as Adobe PhotoShop.
To display the college plate image on your site:
- Download small and medium-sized images. Right-click on the image and select "Save Picture As" using Internet Explorer. (Other browsers may have a different prompt. For example, Netscape may prompt to "Save Image As").
- Download large images. Right-click on the image and select "Save Background As."
- Load the saved images to your web site server and display on your site using standard HTML coding. Note: The images must be loaded to your web site server. Do not remote-link to the images stored on the DMV website.
Linking to DMV's Website
Make it easy for your fans to locate your college plate: provide a link on your site that takes viewers directly to your college plate on dmv.virginia.gov.
Virginia license plate designs are copyrighted by the sponsoring organization (scenic license plates are copyrighted by the Commonwealth of Virginia). Colleges and official alumni associations are permitted to display their respective college plate images on their web sites.
For addition copyright information, visit our Copyright Information and Disclaimer of Liability page.