A motorcycle learner's permit allows you to learn to operate a motorcycle.
- If you are under age 18, you must obtain and hold a Virginia motorcycle learner's permit for at least nine months.
- If you are age 18 or older, you must obtain and hold a motorcycle learner’s permit for at least 30 days.
- You must pass the motorcycle knowledge exam.
- If you do not currently hold a valid learner's permit or driver's license, you must also pass the two-part driver's license knowledge exam.
- You must wear an approved safety helmet.
- You must wear eye and face protection.
- You must be supervised by a person at least 21 years of age who is licensed to operate a motorcycle, who is alert and able to assist you and is supervising from a separate accompanying motor vehicle.
- You cannot carry passengers with a motorcycle learner's permit.
Virginia Rider Training Program
If you are age 19 or older, hold a valid Virginia driver's license and have successfully completed a Virginia Rider Training Program, you may operate a motorcycle for 30 days from the date of the course completion without having to obtain a learner's permit.
In order to remain eligible to operate a motorcycle, you must apply at DMV within the 30-day period to add a motorcycle classification to your license.