If you are authorized to be in the U.S. temporarily and you were issued a limited duration ID card, the ID card may be replaced if it is valid and unexpired. You will not be eligible to receive a limited duration ID card if your authorized stay in the U.S. is less than 30 days from the date of your application.
If you hold a license of any kind, issued by any state within the United States, you are not eligible for an ID card unless you surrender the license. If you currently hold both a driver's license and an ID card, you will be required to surrender your driver's license before you can replace your ID card.
A replacement ID card costs $10.
Replace Your ID Card Online
You may obtain a replacement identification card online unless:
- Your current ID card was issued before January 1, 2004
- Your name must be changed or corrected on your ID card
- Your ID card has expired
- You owe money to DMV for a prior transaction
- You are under the age of 18
- You have an ID card photo that should be retaken
- Your customer number on file needs verification
- You have surrendered your ID card to another state
- You do not have a Virginia address
- You have already requested an ID card replacement online today
- You are required to provide proof of legal presence.
How to Replace Your ID Card at a Customer Service Center
To get a replacement ID card at a customer service center:
- Complete the Driver's License and Identification Card Application (DL1P).You may also apply to register to vote or change your voter registration address, or notify DMV of a change of address or name when you complete this form.
- Present one proof of identity document (additional documents are needed for REAL ID).
See Acceptable Documents for Obtaining a Driver's License or Photo ID Card for more on identification requirements.
- Have a new photo taken.
- Pay the replacement fee.
Receiving Your Replacement ID Card
You will receive your replacement ID card in the mail.
If you have moved, notify DMV right away, as the U.S. Postal Service does not forward IDs.