SR-22/SR26 Financial Responsibility Certification
SR-22 certification is required for the following convictions:
- Unsatisfied judgements
- Uninsured motor vehicle suspension
- Failure to provide proof of insurance associated with insurance monitoring
- Falsifying insurance certification
- Driver license suspension as a result of a conviction for:
- Voluntary or involuntary manslaughter resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle.
- Perjury, making a false affidavit to DMV regarding the registration of motor vehicles, or making a false statement on any driver's license application.
- Any crime punishable as a felony under the motor vehicle law or any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used.
- Failure of a driver of a motor vehicle, involved in an accident resulting in death or injury to another person, to stop and disclose his identity at the scene of the accident.
- Operating or permitting the operation, for a second time, of a passenger automobile for transportation of passengers for rent or for hire, without a license.
SR-22 liability insurance coverage limits are set forth in the Code of Virginia § 46.2-472.
FR-44/FR-46 Financial Responsibility Certification
FR-44 certification is required for the following convictions:
- Maiming while under the influence
- Driving while under the influence of intoxicants or drugs
- Driving while the driver's license has been forfeited for a conviction, or finding of not innocent in the case of a juvenile
- Violation of the provisions of any federal law or law of any other state or any valid local ordinance similar to the above
FR-44 liability insurance coverage limits are double the SR-22 insurance coverage limits set forth in the Code of Virginia § 46.2-472.
The FR-44 double minimum coverage requirements apply to customers convicted of the above violations on or after January 1, 2008, as well as customers previously convicted of these violations who are required to file an SR-22 certification after December 31, 2008. If you reside outside Virginia, you may submit a letter on your insurance provider's letterhead stating the double minimum coverage amounts.
DMV placed a driver's license STOP on the record of anyone who did not comply with this requirement by filing an FR-44 certification prior to January 1st, 2009. The STOP prevents customers from performing any driver transactions (such as renewing a driver's license), but does not affect the customer's ability to register vehicles.
Electronic filing of financial responsibility certifications with DMV means faster and more efficient service for you and immediate and accurate service for your customers. Use the Internet to place your customer's financial responsibility certifications directly on their DMV record. By filing electronically, you enjoy the benefits of eliminating the paperwork and filing.
If you would like to sign up for this service, please refer to Application for Extranet Transaction Access.