Upon the death of a registered motor vehicle owner, the vehicle registration and license plates remain valid until:
- the end of the current registration period; or
- the survivor of the vehicle owner transfers the title; or
- the executor or administrator transfers the ownership of the vehicle.
If you inherit the vehicle and plan to register it in Virginia, you must:
- Complete Section C of the Vehicle Title Certificate
- Complete and submit an Application for Registration (VSA 14)
- Pay a vehicle registration fee, which is based on the weight of the vehicle