Schedule an appointment for service Monday through Friday or stop by during office hours (no appointment). Walk-in applicants for road skills testing must be present by 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and by 11:30 a.m. on Saturdays in order to test that day.
You must meet the follow criteria to take a road skills test:
- Virginia resident
- Age 18 and older
- Have passed your knowledge exam (computer).
If you are under age 18, you must complete a state-approved driver education program.
Customers who fail the road skills exam 1 or 2 times must wait two days before they are eligible to re-test.
Driver's license applicants who fail the knowledge exam or road skills test three times, must successfully complete the applicable knowledge or in-vehicle component of a driver education course before they can take the examination a fourth time.
Preparing for the Road Skills Test
All road skills tests are conducted in vehicle, on the road and in English, unless an interpreter is required*. Only the applicant and the DMV representative are allowed in the vehicle during the road skills test.
*To use an interpreter during your road skills test, you must visit a closed course testing site, either by appointment Monday through Friday or by walk-in during office hours.
Learn about the maneuvers included in closed course road skills tests in our Road Skills Test Guide.
Requirements for Taking the Test
- You must provide a vehicle for the test.
- Rental or Zipcars can only be used if you are listed on the rental agreement as an authorized driver.
- The vehicle must have:
- a valid safety inspection sticker, license plates and registration card
- working brakes, safety belts, horn, lights, turn signals, mirrors and speedometer.
- Proof of a state-approved driver education class or an In-Car Maneuvers Observation Record is required at the time of testing.
- Bring your learner's permit with you.
If you have passed your knowledge exam, but were not issued a learner's permit, you must bring the documents necessary to obtain an original Virginia driver's license. See Driver's License Guide.
Arriving at DMV for Your Road Skills Test
- Scheduled road skills testing appointments: Arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Walk-ins: On a first come, first served basis, so waits may vary by location. Must be present by 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and by 11:30 a.m. on Saturdays in order to test that day.
Once you are checked in, you will be directed to the appropriate area for your test.
Closed Course Locations
- Fairfax Braddock Road
- Newport News
- Norfolk/Widgeon Road
- Richmond Central
- Tyson's Corner