Rebuilt Vehicle Examinations
Rebuilt salvage vehicles must be examined before a certificate of title is issued. For your convenience, ensure all repairs are completed prior to the scheduled examination.
Scheduling a Rebuilt Vehicle Examination
To schedule a rebuilt vehicle examination, submit the following documents and fees:
- The original Virginia salvage certificate in your name
- An original Request for Examination of Rebuilt Salvage Vehicle (LES 022A)
- The $125.00 examination fee
- The $10.00 substitute title fee
Mail the documents and fees listed above to:
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Vehicle Branding Work Center
- P.O. Box 27412
- Richmond, Virginia 23269-0001
A DMV Special Agent will contact you to schedule an appointment to examine your rebuilt salvage vehicle.
Bring the following items to the rebuilt vehicle examination:
- Proof that the vehicle has passed a Virginia state inspection
- A photocopy of the Request for Examination of Rebuilt Salvage Vehicle (LES 022A)
- Receipts for any original parts
- A photograph of the vehicle prior to the repairs
- Old component parts displaying the VIN (if applicable)
Once the salvage vehicle has passed the examination, the DMV Special Agent will give you the new certificate of title with the appropriate brand.
If you plan to apply for a vehicle registration, please allow 24 hours from the receipt of your certificate of title for the vehicle record to be updated before visiting a DMV customer service center or DMV Select office.
Branding of the Certificate of Title
Salvage vehicles with an estimated cost of repair of 75 percent or less of actual cash value will receive a certificate of title branded as "REPAIRED" prior to July 1, 2015.
Effective July 1, 2017, any salvage vehicle that has been repaired for use on the public highways or any late model vehicle that has been repaired and the estimated cost of repair exceeded 75 percent of its actual cash value, will receive a certificate of title branded as “REBUILT”. The "REPAIRED" or "REBUILT" brand is permanent and will be carried forward to each title issued for the life of the vehicle.
Selling a Rebuilt Vehicle
In the future, if you choose to sell the vehicle, you must provide the new purchaser with your certificate of title signed over to the purchaser and a "Rebuilt Vehicle Disclosure Statement" (VSA 59).