Replacement titles are issued for vehicles if a title is lost, mutilated or illegible. Substitute titles are issued when information on the previously issued title needs to be changed.
To obtain a replacement title:
- Save $1 by obtaining your replacement title online now OR
- Bring your current registration card and your driver's license or ID card to your local customer service center.
- Complete either an "Application for Transfer and Supplemental Liens (VSA 66) or an "Application for Replacement and Substitute
Titles" (VSA 67). If there are multiple owners, only one need apply for the replacement title.
If the owner of the vehicle is deceased, the surviving legal heir, executor or administrator of the estate can complete and sign
the VSA 66 on behalf of the deceased. You must also submit the certified or notarized
death certificate and one of the following:
- A copy of the will and a completed "Authority to Transfer Virginia Title Certification" (VSA 24)
- A court-issued document OR copy of the will appointing the executor or administrator
- A completed VSA 24 as proof of legal heir, if there is no will and no executor or administrator has been appointed.
- An affidavit indicating that the deceased's estate falls under the small estate laws (currently, the value of the estate must be less than $50,000).
- Pay the replacement title fee.
If your vehicle is free of liens, you will receive a replacement title for your vehicle. If your vehicle originally had a lien on it, you will need to show that the lien has been satisfied. If the lien has not been satisfied, the replacement title will be sent to the lienholder of record.
Once a replacement title is issued, all prior titles are invalid.