JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Registered Farm Vehicles (F-tag)

Valid Purposes for a Registered Farm Vehicle

Vehicles that are registered for farming purposes can be used to transport:

  • agricultural products to market or to other points for sale or processing;
  • materials, tools, equipment, or supplies that will be used or consumed on the farm;
  • anything incidental to the routine operation of the farm;
  • farm produce, supplies, equipment, or materials to another farm through a mutual agreement with the owner of the other farm;
  • forest products to the farm including forest materials originating on a farm or related to the regular operation of the farm;
  • forest products which originate on the farm.

Vehicles used on a tree farm are not eligible for farm registration unless the tree farm is also a nursery, a Christmas tree farm, or is part of what is otherwise a farm.

Information Required For Registration

You will be asked to provide:

  • location and acreage of the farm or farms;
  • type of commodity farmed and the approximate amounts produced annually;
  • a signed statement that the vehicle will be used only for authorized purposes.

Farm Vehicle Registration Requirements

To register a vehicle as a farm vehicle, the vehicle must have a gross weight of 7,500 pounds or more (Va. Code § 46.2-698). Farm vehicles must also meet titling and insurance requirements.

Farm Vehicle Registration Costs

To register a vehicle for farming purposes you will pay one-half the registration fee paid for a private vehicle; however, your registration fee will be at least $15.00. (Va. Code § 46.2-698)

Use of Farm Vehicle Plates

Farm vehicle license plates issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles may be used on a vehicle used for farming purposes by anyone who owns, rents, or operates a farm of a size that reasonably requires the use of such a vehicle to transport agricultural products.

Non-farm Use of Vehicles With F-tags

Non-farm use is limited to the personal use of the owner and his immediate family to attend church or school, to secure medical treatment or supplies, or to secure other household or family necessities.

False Statements on Registration

Knowingly making a false statement on a registration application is a Class 6 felony. (Va. Code § 46.2-605)

Operating a Farm Vehicle for Non-farm Purposes

Operating a vehicle bearing an F-tag for non-farm use on a Virginia highway is a Class 2 misde- meanor. (Va. Code § 46.2-698(F))

Titling a Farm Vehicle

Farm vehicles must be titled, with the exception of farm tractors, special construction and forestry equipment, which are exempted from titling and registration requirements. All other motor vehicles operated on a highway must be titled, even those exempt from registration. (Va. Code § 46.2-600)

Insurance Requirements for Vehicles with F-tags

When registering the vehicle, you must certify that it is insured or you must pay the $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee at the time of registration. (Va. Code § 46.2-706)

Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Requirements

A CDL is required if your farm vehicle is operated 150 miles or more from your Virginia-based farm and meets the following definition of a commercial vehicle.

  • has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more; or
  • is a combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more if the vehicle(s) being towed has a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds; or
  • can carry 16 or more passengers including the driver; or
  • requires hazardous material placards; or
  • the vehicle is used in the operation of a contract or common carrier; or
  • used in another state. (Additional licensing requirements may be required for out- of-state operation.)(Va. Code § 46.2-341.4)

Based on federal and state law, these vehicles require a pre-trip inspection. For additional information refer to the Virginia Commercial Driver's License Manual.

Canceling a Farm Registration (F-tag)

When a vehicle no longer qualifies for registration as a farm vehicle, notify DMV within 30 days or at the time of vehicle registration renewal, whichever comes first. You will need to replace your farm plates with appropriate license plates.(Va. Code §46.2-698(F)).