Receiving Notifications - Email and Text Reminders
Email and Text Reminders
Once you have signed up for DMV email or text reminders, you can receive automated information about your DMV records, such as vehicle registration decal renewal and driver's license renewal notices, in a way most convenient for you. After sign up, you will receive a courtesy email or text message within 24 hours confirming your preferred method of receiving renewal notices. If you sign up to receive text notifications, ensure that you keep your phone number and carrier up to date. If you do not receive a confirmation email or text message within 24 hours, contact us.
Renewing Online Saves Time and Money
When you receive your DMV enotification, why not renew online? You can save $1 by using the Internet to renew your registration. If eligible, save another $2 if you renew for two years or $3 if you renew for three years. See our list of Online Services for more information.
Notification Schedules and Eligibility
You will receive your next vehicle registration decal renewal notices at this email address unless:
- Your decals expire within three months. This year's paper renewal is already being processed. You will receive it in the mail.
- Your decals cannot be renewed for some reason that requires your help to resolve. DMV will mail information on what actions you will need to take.
To be eligible to receive enotifications for your vehicle registration renewal, your vehicle must be for personal use only and cannot be leased.
You will receive your next driver's license/ID Card/CDL renewal notice at this email address unless:
- Your license/ID Card/CDL expires within three months. If this is the case, this year's paper renewal is already being processed, and you will receive it in the mail.
- Your license/ID Card/CDL cannot be renewed for some reason that requires your help to resolve. If this is the case, DMV will mail information on what actions you will need to take to complete your renewal.
We may be unable to process online driver's license renewals if you have a suspended or revoked license or if you hold a Commercial Driver's License (CDL). You may check your online Compliance Summary to determine requirements for reinstating your Virginia driver and/or registration privileges. In addition, you may use the Online Legal Presence transaction to certify your birth record and update your legal presence status with the Virginia DMV. For more information, see online eligibility.
You may not receive your driver's license notification:
- If your decals expire within four months of signing up for automated notices, you may still receive your paper renewal notification by mail; however, from then on, you will receive electronic notifications, if eligible.
- If your decals cannot be renewed for some reason that requires your help to resolve, DMV will mail information on what actions you will need to take.
What You Need to Sign Up
- Your DMV customer number as displayed on your driver's license or your social security number
- Date of birth
- DMV Personal Identification Number (PIN)/password. If you don't have a DMV PIN/password, request a PIN/password and receive it instantly.