Traffic Crash Reconstruction
This course includes extensive project work to give students first hand experience in crash reconstruction. Each student will be required to diagram and analyze several different crash scenarios as well as complete vector sum analysis of each.
- Derivation and origin of the commonly used speed formulas
- Behavior of vehicles in a collision using Newton's three laws of motion
- Discussions of commercial vehicle and motorcycle dynamics in collisions
- Determination of direction of travel, initial contact and position of vehicles on the roadway
This course is designed for experienced traffic crash investigators with a good working knowledge of the techniques and applications of formulas taught in fundamental/advanced investigation courses. This course will build upon the student’s understanding of vehicle dynamics. It will provide more elaboration into the study of time/distance calculations, two-dimensional momentum and impact speed calculation using momentum equations.
Class Dates and Locations
- September 13, 2021 - September 24, 2021 (8:00 am - 5:00 pm)
- Virginia State Police
- Training Division
- 7700 Midlothian Turnpike
- North Chesterfield, VA 23235
Due to the highly technical subject matter,applicants must have successfully completed the Advanced Traffic Crash Investigation course offered by the Institute of Police Technology and Management (IPTM) or its equivalent.
This course is FREE for Virginia law enforcement. Seating is limited to 25.
To register, email Steve Williams at Steven.Williams@dmv.virginia.gov and provide the following information:
- Agency name
- Name and rank/title
- Contact phone number and email address
- Completion date of the IPTM's Traffic Crash Investigation Course or its equivalent
- Crash investigation and reconstruction experience
Students should bring the following materials to class:
- Scientific calculator
- 1 1/2" Three-Ring Binder Recommended