Advanced Crash Investigation
This course will delve into the advanced concepts of traffic crash investigation.
More complex vehicle dynamics like acceleration, factor, rate and airborne situations will be explored. Students will learn to estimate speeds from falls, vaults and flips and the calculation of kinetic energy and linear momentum. In addition, students will also learn how to evaluate vehicle lamps, tires and damage to help determine vehicle behaviors during collision.
Much of the course will focus on the use of acceleration/deceleration factors and perception/reaction times to determine time/distance relationships for colliding vehicles.
- Speed estimates from kinetic energy, skid marks, scuff marks and airborne situations
- Vehicle dynamics and motion
- Time, distance and motion speed equations
- Conservation of momentum equations
- Center of mass calculation
- Vehicle lamp examination
- Tire damage evaluation
- Vector Sum analysis
The course enrollment is intended primarily for Virginia law enforcement personnel. On rare occasions, non-law enforcement personnel will be allowed to take the course on a case-by-case basis.
Class Dates and Locations
- July 12, 2021 - July 23, 2021 (0800-1700)
- Henrico County Police Ranco Road Training Facility
- 7425 Ranco Road
- Henrico, VA 23228
- August 23, 2021 - September 3, 2021 (0800-1700)
- James City County Law Enforcement Center
- 4600 Opportunity Way
- Williamsburg, VA 23188
At a minimum, applicants must have completed the At-Scene Traffic Crash/Traffic Homicide Investigation class offered by the Institute of Police Technology and Management (IPTM) or its equivalent. Applicants should review all formulas and work from this course prior to coming to class.
This course is FREE for Virginia law enforcement. Seating is limited to 25.
To register, email Steve Williams at Steven.Williams@dmv.virginia.gov and provide the following information:
- Agency name
- Name and rank/title
- Contact phone number and email address
- Completion date of the Crash Investigation & Reconstruction Level 1/Fundamentals of Crash Investigation & Reconstruction
- Crash investigation and reconstruction experience
Students should bring the following materials to class:
- Scientific calculator
- Traffic template
- Compass to draw circles