Child Passenger Safety Training
The National Child Passenger Safety Certification Program offers certification or recertification as a Child Passenger Safety (CPS) technician, and offers resources for locating a CPS technician in your area.
- National Standardized Child Passenger Certification Course (3 – 4 Days): This course is open to the public and certifies people as child passenger safety technicians and instructors. CPS technicians and instructors put their knowledge to work by conducting child safety seat checks, where parents and caregivers receive hands-on assistance with proper use of child restraint systems and safety belts. To register, visit National Child Passenger Safety Certification Program and select "Find a Course."
- Renewal Course (1 Day): This course is designed for previously certified CPS technicians or instructors of the National Standardized Child Passenger Safety Training Program who have allowed their certification to expire. Participants will be provided instruction and hands-on skills assessment. Upon completion of this one-day testing course, the participants will take a re-certification test to regain their CPS technician status. To register, visit National Child Passenger Safety Certification Program and select "Find a Course."
- Refresher Course (1 Day): This is a full-day course intended for currently certified CPS technicians who have previously attended the standardized 32-hour child passenger safety certification training. The intention of the course is to apprise students of the changes that have evolved since their training and provide updates regarding topics such as the Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children system (LATCH), side impact air bags, controversial products, and installation techniques. This course will help with the necessary requirements to recertify. To register for this course, contact John Messina, State Coordinator - Occupant Protection for Children at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Safe Travels for All Children: Transporting Children with Special Health Care Needs (2 Days): This course is open to any certified CPS technician, with special consideration for occupational and physical therapists. To register for this course, contact John Messina at email@example.com.
- Operation Kids: Next Generation - Child Passenger Basic Awareness Course: This course was developed to create an awareness of chid passenger safety and the importance of making child passenger safety enforcement and education a routine part of the duties of first responders, along with health care and child care providers. Participants will learn how critical their role is in promoting child passenger safety and how to become more effective child passenger safety advocates and educators. At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and explain their state's occupant restraint laws as it relates to "best practice" recommendations
- Detect major and potentially harmful CPS and seat belt violations
- Identify local, state, and national CPS resources
- Provide basic information on correct child restraint use
- Support the enforcement of existing child passenger safety statutes.