JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Request a Copy of Your Driver or Vehicle Record

You may request a copy of your driving or vehicle record from DMV. Federal and state laws specify what information DMV keeps, how long it is kept and the circumstances under which it may be released.

The types of records, or transcripts, available are:

  • Driver/Personal Use - For your personal use only; up to 11 years of your driving history
  • Driver/Employment/School/Military - Contains up to 7 years of driving history; may be issued to you personally or to employers, schools, or branches of armed forces or their authorized agents upon written request; must be accompanied by a signed release authorizing them to obtain your record for the purpose of employment, school, or military enlistment.
  • Driver/TNC – Contains up to 7 years of driving history; only requested and issued to Transportation Network Companies (TNC) for the purpose of employment.
  • Driver/Insurance - A summary of your driving record for insurance purposes; up to a 5-year record
  • Driver/Habitual Offender Restoration - Used to petition the court for restoration of your driver's license; up to a 11-year record
  • Vehicle/Personal Use

DMV also provides driving records to employers participating in the Mandatory Driving Record Monitoring Program and the Voluntary Driving Record Monitoring Program.

Submitting the Request

You may obtain a copy of your driver or vehicle record by:

  • Applying online;
  • Visiting a customer service center and presenting appropriate identification (i.e., a valid driver's license or photo identification card) and the transcript fee;
  • Sending a written request or Information Request (form CRD-93) to DMV along with the fee. Be sure to include your full name, address, social security number and the reason why you want your record. Send your request to:
    • Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
    • Attention: Vehicle (Driver) Records Work Center
    • P. O. Box 27412
    • Richmond, VA 23269

If you are requesting a copy of your vehicle record, you must provide your vehicle title number and vehicle identification number (VIN), which are printed on your vehicle registration card, and certificate of title. Your vehicle record will reflect only the period that you have owned the vehicle.

Transcript Fee

You can find the transcript fees in the Customer Records section of "DMV Fees" (DMV-201).

Special Rates for Employment Transcripts

Free or reduced rates for employment transcripts apply in the following cases:

  1. An employment transcript is issued at NO CHARGE for any federal, state, or local governmental entities, including;
    • Law enforcement,
    • Attorney for the Commonwealth,
    • An official of any federal or state court.
    • Local government self-insurance pool.
  2. An employment transcript is issued at NO CHARGE if you have applied to be a volunteer with (or are a member of) one of the following organizations. Written evidence that you are an applicant (or member) of the organization is required.
    • Volunteer fire company or rescue squad. Written evidence that the fire company/rescue squad needs the transcript to establish your qualifications to operate their fire/rescue equipment is also required.
    • Court-appointed special advocate program. Written evidence that you have applied to be a volunteer with a court-appointed special advocate program is required..
  3. An employment transcript is issued at a reduced fee if you have applied to be a volunteer with (or are a member of) one of the organizations listed below. You will also be required to have written evidence that you are an applicant (or member) of the organization. The organization can request the transcript on your behalf, however, they must have an active Information Use Agreement on file with DMV in order to receive the transcript at the reduced fee.
    • Virginia affiliate of Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America
    • Virginia affiliate of Compeer
    • A volunteer vehicle operator with a Virginia chapter of the American Red Cross
    • A volunteer vehicle operator with a Virginia chapter of the Civil Air Patrol
    • A volunteer vehicle operator with Faith in Action

Driver/TNC Records

Effective 7/1/2017, Transportation Network Companies (TNCs) will have two fee options from which to choose when applying for a Certificate of Fitness to operate in Virginia. One of the options requires the TNC to pay a $20 surcharge on each driver transcript requested from DMV. Normal driver transcript fees apply depending on the service outlet used. TNCs that wish to participate in other monitoring programs may do so at their own discretion.

Mandatory Driving Record Monitoring Program

Virginia law requires DMV to actively monitor the driving records of public school bus drivers, public and private school driver education instructors and commercial driving school instructors. If you are a driver in any of these categories and your driver's license is suspended, revoked or disqualified or if you are convicted of driving while intoxicated or reckless driving, DMV will provide a copy of your driving record to the local school division, private school or licensing authority that employs you. In addition, if you are a driving instructor and you accumulate more than 6 demerit points, DMV will notify your employer.

Driver Alert - Voluntary Driving Record Monitoring Program

DMV’s Driver Alert program is a voluntary program to monitor the driving records of individuals employed by participating public and private transportation companies and other organizations employing large numbers of drivers. For more information, refer to Driver Alert - Volunteer Driving Record Monitoring Program.

Travel Emergency Photo Verification

Effective 11/6/2017, DMV now offers “Travel Emergency Photo Verification” Monday through Friday, 8:15 AM to 5:00 PM. If you have lost your Virginia ID card or your Virginia Driver’s License while traveling and need an emergency photo verification for travel purposes, you may call our customer care hotline at 804-497-7100 to have it securely emailed to you for a fee of $9. The Travel Emergency Photo verification will include your current ID photo, customer number, name, as well as a certification from the Department of Motor Vehicles Commissioner. This service should only be used in the event that you are traveling and need documentation for proof of your identity, and you are unable to request a replacement online or by visiting a customer service center.