E-ZPass at DMV
DMV Locations Offering E-ZPass On-the-Go Kits
DMV offers convenient E-ZPass On-the-Go service at many DMV locations in the Northern Virginia, Tidewater and Richmond regions of Virginia. To find the location closest to you, refer to DMV Locations Selling E-ZPass Kits.
E-ZPass On-the-Go Kits
The E-ZPass On-the-Go kit costs $35 and contains an E-ZPass transponder pre-loaded with $15 that can be used immediately on toll roads in and outside of Virginia. To access the remaining $20, you must set up an E-ZPass account online at www.ezpassva.com or by phone at 1-877-762-7824.
To register your transponder, you must provide:
- The ID numbers located on the transponder
- Contact information, including your driver's license number
- License plate and vehicle information
- Payment information, if you are setting up your account for automatic replenishment. The replenishment amount and replenishment threshold (low balance) levels are increased for each additional transponder added to your E-ZPass account
Each transponder comes with adhesive mounting strips and easy-to-follow instructions. Please follow these instructions carefully as your transponder must be correctly mounted in order to work properly.
E-Zpass On-the-Go Transponder Types
Depending on location, DMV offers customers two types of transponders - E-ZPass Standard and E-ZPass Flex. Both transponder types can be used on all Virginia toll roads.
The E-ZPass Flex transponder has an added HOV switch which allows a customer, in certain circumstances, to avoid toll charges when the vehicle is traveling the 95 and 495 Express Lanes in northern Virginia. If the vehicle has three or more occupants, the transponder may be switched to "HOV ON" and the customer may travel toll-free. (For more information about traveling on the new 95 express lanes, visit 95expresslanes.com.)
NOTE: Customers who have a Flex transponder issued after October 1, 2014 and who have not used the Flex transponder for HOV transactions on express lanes for any prior six-month period will be required to exchange the Flex transponder for a standard transponder (at no cost) or be subject to a one-time transponder functionality upgrade charge of $10.
Full E-ZPass Account Management at Some DMV Locations
DMV offers full E-ZPass account management at six customer service centers. These are:
- Chesterfield customer service center
- Fairfax/Westfields customer service center
- Gloucester customer service center
- Newport News customer service center
- Richmond Central customer service center
- Woodbridge customer service center
These DMV offices offer the full range of E-ZPass services, which includes:
- Account set-up
- Account management (change of address, updating statement options, adding vehicles, etc.)
- Account replenishment
- Closing accounts
- Violation processing
- Transponder return and replacement
Returning a Transponder
Most DMV offices are not able to accept returns of malfunctioning transponders. Customers wishing to return an E-ZPass transponder for any reason must visit either (1) an E-ZPass customer service center or the Gloucester or Newport News DMV customer service centers or (2) return the transponder via mail to:
- E-ZPass Service Center
- PO Box 1234
- Clifton Forge, VA 24422-1234
For more information, visit www.ezpassva.com or call the toll-free number at 1-877-762-7824
Transponders remain the property of the Virginia Department of Transportation. When an account is closed, all transponders must be returned to an E-ZPass customer service center or the DMV Gloucester or Newport News customer service center. Otherwise, the customer will be liable for the lost/stolen fee ($10 for a standard transponder, $20 for a Flex transponder).