DMV Reopening Plan
We look forward to serving you. DMV has taken every precaution in planning a thoughtful, phased approach to safely reopening customer service centers. Operational adjustments have been made for social distancing. To minimize customer volume at DMV offices and testing sites, appointments are required for specific services generally necessitating in-person service. Customers should use alternate service methods, such as online or by mail, when possible.
DMV does not charge a fee for appointments. Please ensure that you book directly through the official Virginia DMV website. DMV cannot guarantee appointments made through third-party sites.
Please visit the links below to learn more about DMV’s preparations for safely reopening offices to the public. This webpage will be updated as new information becomes available.
To review information about DMV’s response to novel coronavirus (COVID-19), including extensions of validity periods of driver and vehicle credentials, please visit Response to COVID-19.
How the Appointment System Works
A maximum of three months of appointment slots are available at any time on the calendar. Each day, a new day of appointments is added to the end of the available 90-day period.
New appointment slots will be posted multiple times every hour. Cancellations can also create earlier availability in the calendar. If you do not see availability, all the posted appointment slots are currently booked.
Scheduling through the website is the most direct route to obtain an appointment. While our DMV Direct call center agents are able to schedule appointments, they also use this website and will see the same availability that you see. Our representatives do not have the ability to create new appointments outside of what is available on the calendar.
We encourage you to check back regularly for updated availability and newly opened locations. DMV is working hard to equip and safely reopen offices as quickly as possible.
Locations and Services
DMV locations are opening in phases throughout the summer. An office can only reopen once it has been prepared to provide adequate social distancing and clear plastic partitions have been installed on front counters creating a safe separation between customers and employees.
In determining the order in which offices will reopen, DMV is taking in to consideration the following factors:
- Historical volumes of customers served,
- Geography/statewide service coverage,
- Availability of staff,
- Office preparedness, including installation of clear plastic partitions at service windows, and
- Local health and safety considerations.
Upon reopening, DMV will focus on the following services:
- Original driver's licenses
- Original commercial driver's licenses (CDLs)
- Replacement driver's licenses for a name change
- Driver's license renewals, including CDLs
- Original and renewal ID cards
- ID card replacements for a name change
- Original and replacement disabled parking placards
- HAZMAT fingerprinting
- Original and substitute titles
- Original and transfer of vehicle registrations (no title)
- Vital records
- Compliance/Reinstatement of driving privileges, to include insurance payment plan set-up
- Payment plan: monthly installment payment
- Knowledge testing (computer) for learner’s permits and business partners
- Road skills testing (behind-the-wheel) for passenger vehicles and motorcycles is offered at specific locations. Visit dmvNOW.com/skillstest for more information on DMV’s new passenger vehicle road testing process.
Customers who need to conduct other transactions should do so via dmvNOW.com or by mail.
This chart shows you how to do your transaction from the comfort and protection of your own home.[Back to Top]
With health and safety in mind, DMV is offering service by appointment only. Appointments limit the number of people in an office or at a testing site at one time to ensure social distancing and efficient service. DMV will never charge for appointments and cannot guarantee appointments made on third-party sites.
For customers who need in-person service for one of the transactions listed above, please click the “Book Your Appointment Now” button below to schedule an appointment. Customers are limited to one appointment per person; multiple appointments made by the same person will be canceled. Customers who arrive late may need to reschedule. Please do not bring other people with you to your appointment unless you need them to conduct your transaction or for personal assistance; DMV can only allow a limited number of people in an office at one time.
General Transactions and Knowledge Testing (Computer)
Appointments for general transactions and knowledge testing (computer) will be available on Monday through Saturday at the following customer service centers during these expanded hours:
- Abingdon (25552 Lee Highway, Abingdon, VA 24211-7466), M-S 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Alexandria (2681 Mill Road, Alexandria, VA 22314-4680), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Altavista (1301-H Main Street, Altavista, VA 24517), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Arlington (4150 South Four Mile Run Drive, Arlington, VA 22206), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Arlington Metro (3434 North Washington Blvd. Suite RET01, Arlington, VA 22201) M-F 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Charlottesville (2055 Abbey Road, Charlottesville, VA 22911-3540), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Chesapeake (813 Greenbrier Parkway, Chesapeake, VA 23320-3647), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Chester (12100 Branders Creek Drive, Chester, VA 23831), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Chesterfield (610 Johnston Willis Drive, Richmond, VA 23236-3949), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Christiansburg (385 Arbor Drive, Christiansburg, VA 24073), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Clintwood (2311 Dickenson Hwy., Clintwood, VA 24228), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Covington (121 Mall Road, Covington, VA 24426), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Culpeper (18505 Crossroad Parkway, Culpeper, VA 22701), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Danville (126 Sandy Court, Suite C, Danville, VA 24541) M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- East Henrico (5517 South Laburnum Avenue, Richmond, VA 23231), M-F 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Emporia (103 Commonwealth Boulevard, Emporia, VA 23847), M-S 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Fairfax / Westfields (14950 Northridge Drive, Chantilly, VA 20151-3809), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Farmville (300 North Virginia Street, Farmville, VA 23901) M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Franconia (6306 Grovedale Drive, Alexandria, VA 22310), M-S 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Fredericksburg (5700 Southpoint Centre Boulevard, Fredericksburg, VA 22407-2601), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Front Royal (15 Water Street, Front Royal, VA 22630), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Galax (7565 Carrollton Pike, Galax, VA 24333), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Gate City (382 Jones Street,, Suite 101, Gate City, VA 24251), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Gloucester (2348 York Crossing Drive, Hayes, VA 23072) M-F 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Hampton (8109 Roanoke Avenue, Hampton, VA 23605-1637), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Harrisonburg (3281 Peoples Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22801-7600), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Jonesville (195 Hill Street, Jonesville, VA 24263), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Lebanon (567 W. Main Street, Lebanon) M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Leesburg (945 Edwards Ferry Road NE, Leesburg, VA 20176), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Lynchburg (3236 Odd Fellows Road, Lynchburg, VA 24501), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Martinsville (310 Starling Avenue, Martinsville, VA 24112), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Newport News (12730 Patrick Henry Drive, Newport News, VA 23602), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Norfolk/Military Circle (5745 Poplar Hall Drive, Norfolk, VA 23502), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Norfolk/Widgeon (850 Widgeon Road, Norfolk, VA 23513) M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- North Henrico (9015 Brook Road, Glen Allen, VA 23060), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Norton (1729 Park Avenue S.W., Norton) M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Onancock (20 North Street, Onancock, VA 23417), M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Petersburg (120 Wagner Road, Petersburg, VA 23805), M-F 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Portsmouth (6400 Bickford Parkway, Portsmouth, VA 23703), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Prince William/Manassas (11270 Bulloch Drive, Manassas, VA 20109), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Richmond Central (2300 West Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23269), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Rocky Mount (305 Tanyard Road, Rocky Mount, VA 24151), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Roanoke (5220 Valleypark Drive, Roanoke, VA 24019), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- South Boston (2039 Hamilton Boulevard, South Boston, VA 24592-2141), M-S 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- South Hill (206 South Brunswick Avenue, South Hill, VA 23970), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Suffolk (1040 Centerbrooke Ln., Suffolk, VA 23434), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Tappahannock (750 Richmond Beach Road, Tappahannock, VA 22560), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Tazewell (1151 Tazewell Avenue, Tazewell, VA 24651), M-S 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Tysons Corner (1968 Gallows Road, Vienna, VA 22182), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Vansant (1657 Lover's Gap Road, Vansant, VA 24656), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Virginia Beach/Buckner (3551 Buckner Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA 23453-5101), M-S 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Virginia Beach/Hilltop (1712 Donna Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23454) M-F 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Warrenton (94 Alexandria Pike, Warrenton, VA 20186) M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Waynesboro (998 Hopeman Parkway, Waynesboro, VA 22980) M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Williamsburg (5235 John Tyler Highway, Williamsburg, VA 23185) M - F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Winchester (4050 Valley Pike, Winchester, VA 22602), M-F 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Wytheville (800 East Main Street, Suite 100, Wytheville, VA 24382), M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Woodbridge (2731 Caton Hill Road, Woodbridge, VA 22192). M-F 8 a.m.-6 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
- Woodstock (714-A North Main Street, Woodstock, VA 22664) M-F 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; S 8 a.m.-noon
Road Skills Testing (Behind-the-Wheel) for Passenger Vehicles
Appointments for road skills testing (behind-the-wheel) for passenger vehicles are available at the locations below. To schedule a road skills test, please ensure you have completed your knowledge testing (computer) and any other requirements and visit dmvNOW.com/appt. For more information, please visit dmvNOW.com/skillstest.
- Abingdon Customer Service Center (25552 Lee Highway, Abingdon, VA 24211-7466)
- Chester CDL Site (1305 West Hundred Road, Chester, VA 23836)
- Christiansburg Customer Service Center (385 Arbor Drive, Christiansburg, VA 24073)
- Harrisonburg Customer Service Center (3281 Peoples Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22801-7600)
- Manassas CDL Site (7931 Mason King Court, Manassas, VA 20109)
- Martinsville CDL Site (1012 Dupont Road, Martinsville, VA 24112)
- Middletown CDL Site (6667 Valley Pike, Middletown, Va. 22645)
- Norfolk-Widgeon Road Customer Service Center - only open for road skills testing (850 Widgeon Road, Norfolk, VA 23513)
- Richmond Customer Service Center (2300 West Broad Street, Richmond VA 23269)
- South Boston Customer Service Center (2039 Hamilton Boulevard, South Boston, VA 24592-2141)
- Suffolk CDL Site (6701 College Drive, Suffolk, VA 23435)
- Woodbridge Customer Service Center - only open for road skills testing (2731 Caton Hill Road, Woodbridge, VA 22192
Road Skills Testing (Behind-the-Wheel) for Motorcycles
Road skills testing (behind-the-wheel) appointments for motorcycles are available at sites below. Appointments can be made at dmvNOW.com/appt.
- Abingdon Customer Service Center(25552 Lee Highway, Abingdon, VA 24211-7466)
- Charlottesville Customer Service Center (2055 Abbey Road, Charlottesville, VA 22911-3540)
- Chesterfield Customer Service Center (610 Johnston Willis Drive, Chesterfield, VA 23236-3949)
- Covington Customer Service Center (121 Mall Road, Covington, VA 24426)
- Danville Customer Service Center (126 Sandy Court, Suite C, Danville, VA 24541)
- Fredericksburg Customer Service Center (5700 Southpoint Center Boulevard, Fredericksburg, VA 22407-2601)
- Hampton Customer Service Center (8109 Roanoke Avenue, Hampton, VA 23605-1637)
- Leesburg Customer Service Center (945 Edwards Ferry Road NE, Leesburg, VA 20176)
- Lynchburg Customer Service Center (3236 Odd Fellows Road, Lynchburg, VA 24501)
- North Henrico Customer Service Center (9015 Brook Road, Glen Allen, VA 23060)
- Rocky Mount Customer Service Center (305 Tanyard Road, Rocky Mount, VA 24151)
- Tappahannock Customer Service Center (750 Richmond Beach Road, Tappahannock, VA 22560)
- Virginia Beach-Buckner Customer Service Center (3551 Buckner Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA 23453-5101)
- Waynesboro Customer Service Center (998 Hopeman Parkway, Waynesboro, VA 22980)
CDL testing is also available by appointment at the following six CDL testing sites: Abingdon, Chester, Manassas, Martinsville, Middletown and Suffolk. Contact the CDL testing location nearest you to schedule an appointment.
Appointments at more locations will be available in the coming weeks. Please do not visit DMV unless you have an appointment. Thank you for your patience.[Back to Top]
Health and Safety
When you arrive at DMV, you will notice our offices look a little different. Customer service representatives will be spread out, working every other service window. They’ll be wearing face coverings and may be wearing gloves. Counters will have clear plastic partitions, like bank teller windows, and fewer chairs will be spaced out in the lobbies.
DMV has increased the frequency and scope of janitorial service. We take the health and safety of our customers and employees very seriously and are following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Virginia Department of Health guidance as we gradually welcome our customers back to DMV offices.
Customers should not come for an appointment if they are feeling ill or have any reason to believe they may have been exposed to COVID-19. Customers must wear face coverings while in the office pursuant to Governor Northam’s Executive Order 63. (Face coverings must be removed while a DMV employee is taking your photo for a license or identification card.)
Customers and employees are asked to conduct personal health assessments, asking themselves the following questions before reporting to an appointment or to work:
- Today, or in the past 24 hours, have I had any of the following:
- A new dry, persistent cough?
- Fever greater than 100.3? (If you have a thermometer at home, consider checking your temperature.)
- Shortness of breath, even at rest?
- Difficulty breathing?
- Very sore throat?
- Sudden onset of extreme fatigue?
- Repeated shaking with chills?
- Muscle aches all over (not just pain in a specific area)?
- Sudden onset of a headache?
- New loss of taste or smell?
- Am I awaiting COVID-19 test results?
- In the past 14 days, have I had close contact with a person known to be infected with COVID-19 or who is awaiting COVID-19 test results? Close Contact means being physically close (less than 6 feet) to a person infected with COVID-19 for a minimum of 10 minutes OR having been coughed on by a person infected with COVID-19.
If customers or employees respond "yes" to any question or subpart of a question, they are to remain home.
Thank you for working with us during these challenging times. We are YOUR DMV.[Back to Top]