DMV Reopening Plan
We look forward to serving you. DMV has taken every precaution in planning a thoughtful, phased approach to safely reopening customer service centers. Operational adjustments have been made for social distancing. To minimize customer volume at DMV offices and testing sites, appointments are required for specific services generally necessitating in-person service. Customers should use alternate service methods, such as online or by mail, when possible.
DMV does not charge a fee for appointments. Please ensure that you book directly through the official Virginia DMV website. DMV cannot guarantee appointments made through third-party sites.
Please visit the links below to learn more about DMV’s preparations for safely reopening offices to the public. This webpage will be updated as new information becomes available.
To review information about DMV’s response to novel coronavirus (COVID-19), including extensions of validity periods of driver and vehicle credentials, please visit Response to COVID-19.
How the Appointment System Works
A maximum three months of appointment slots are available at any time on the calendar. Each day, a new day of appointments is added to the end of the available 90-day period.
New appointment slots will be posted multiple times every hour. Cancellations can also create earlier availability in the calendar. If you do not see availability, all the posted appointment slots are currently booked.
Scheduling through the website is the most direct route to obtain an appointment. While our DMV Direct call center agents are able to schedule appointments, they also use this website and will see the same availability that you see. Our representatives do not have the ability to create new appointments outside of what is available on the calendar.
We encourage you to check back regularly for updated availability and newly opened locations. DMV is working hard to equip and safely reopen offices as quickly as possible.
Locations and Services
Most DMV locations have reopened for service by appointment only. Walk-in service is not available. At this time, only specific services are being offered for in-person service. All other transactions should be conducted online at dmvNOW.com or by mail.
This chart shows you how to do your transaction from the comfort and protection of your own home.
DMV is focusing on the following services:
- Original driver's licenses
- Original commercial driver's licenses (CDLs)
- Replacement driver's licenses for a name change
- Driver's license renewals, including CDLs
- Original and renewal ID cards
- ID card replacements for a name change
- Original and replacement disabled parking placards
- HAZMAT fingerprinting
- Original and substitute titles
- Original and transfer of vehicle registrations (no title)
- Vital records
- Compliance/Reinstatement of driving privileges, to include insurance payment plan set-up
- Payment plan: monthly installment payment
- Knowledge testing (computer) for learner’s permits and business partners
- Road skills testing (behind-the-wheel) for passenger vehicles and motorcycles is offered at specific locations. Visit dmvNOW.com/skillstest for more information on DMV’s new passenger vehicle road testing process.
With health and safety in mind, DMV is offering service by appointment only. Appointments limit the number of people in an office or at a testing site at one time to ensure social distancing and efficient service. DMV will never charge for appointments and cannot guarantee appointments made on third-party sites.
For customers who need in-person service for one of the transactions listed above, please click the “Book Your Appointment Now” button below to schedule an appointment. Customers are limited to one appointment per person; multiple appointments made by the same person will be canceled. Customers who arrive late may need to reschedule. Please do not bring other people with you to your appointment unless you need them to conduct your transaction or for personal assistance; DMV can only allow a limited number of people in an office at one time.
Please do not visit DMV unless you have an appointment. Thank you for your patience.
General Transactions and Knowledge Testing (Computer)
DMV has reopened numerous customer service centers statewide and extended operating hours Monday through Saturday for specific services (see above) by appointment only for general transactions and knowledge testing (computer). A list of reopened DMV customer service centers is available on the appointment page by selecting a transaction category and expanding the drop down menu below.
Road Skills Testing (Behind-the-Wheel) for Passenger Vehicles
Appointments for road skills testing (behind-the-wheel) for passenger vehicles are available at the locations below. For more information, please visit dmvNOW.com/skillstest.
- Abingdon Customer Service Center (25552 Lee Highway, Abingdon, VA 24211-7466)
- Chester CDL Site (1305 West Hundred Road, Chester, VA 23836)
- Christiansburg Customer Service Center (385 Arbor Drive, Christiansburg, VA 24073)
- Farmville Customer Service Center (300 North Virginia Street, Farmville, VA 23901)
- Galax Customer Service Center (7565 Carrollton Pike, Galax, VA 24333)
- Franconia Customer Service Center (6306 Grovedale Drive, Alexandria, VA 22310)
- Hampton Customer Service Center (8109 Roanoke Avenue, Hampton, VA 23605)
- Harrisonburg Customer Service Center (3281 Peoples Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22801-7600)
- Manassas CDL Site (7931 Mason King Court, Manassas, VA 20109)
- Martinsville CDL Site (1012 Dupont Road, Martinsville, VA 24112)
- Middletown CDL Site (6667 Valley Pike, Middletown, Va. 22645)
- Norfolk-Widgeon Road Customer Service Center (850 Widgeon Road, Norfolk, VA 23513)
- Richmond Customer Service Center (2300 West Broad Street, Richmond VA 23269)
- South Boston Customer Service Center (2039 Hamilton Boulevard, South Boston, VA 24592-2141)
- Sterling Customer Service Center (100 Free Court, Sterling, VA 20164-3201)
- Suffolk CDL Site (6701 College Drive, Suffolk, VA 23435)
- Suffolk Customer Service Center (1040 Centerbrooke Ln, Suffolk, VA 23434)
- Waynesboro Customer Service Center (998 Hopeman Parkway, Waynesboro, VA 22980)
- Woodbridge Customer Service Center (2731 Caton Hill Road, Woodbridge, VA 22192
Road Skills Testing (Behind-the-Wheel) for Motorcycles
Road skills testing (behind-the-wheel) appointments for motorcycles are available at sites below.
- Abingdon Customer Service Center(25552 Lee Highway, Abingdon, VA 24211-7466)
- Charlottesville Customer Service Center (2055 Abbey Road, Charlottesville, VA 22911-3540)
- Chesterfield Customer Service Center (610 Johnston Willis Drive, Chesterfield, VA 23236-3949)
- Covington Customer Service Center (121 Mall Road, Covington, VA 24426)
- Danville Customer Service Center (126 Sandy Court, Suite C, Danville, VA 24541)
- Fredericksburg Customer Service Center (5700 Southpoint Center Boulevard, Fredericksburg, VA 22407-2601)
- Hampton Customer Service Center (8109 Roanoke Avenue, Hampton, VA 23605-1637)
- Hopewell Customer Service Center (4401 Crossings Boulevard, Prince George, VA 23875)
- Kilmarnock (110 DMV Drive, Kilmarnock, VA 22482-3843)
- Leesburg Customer Service Center (945 Edwards Ferry Road NE, Leesburg, VA 20176)
- Lynchburg Customer Service Center (3236 Odd Fellows Road, Lynchburg, VA 24501)
- Marion Customer Service Center(1595 North Main Street, Marion, VA 24354)
- North Henrico Customer Service Center (9015 Brook Road, Glen Allen, VA 23060)
- Pulaski (1901 Bobwhite Boulevard, Pulaski, VA 24301-4233)
- Rocky Mount Customer Service Center (305 Tanyard Road, Rocky Mount, VA 24151)
- Tappahannock Customer Service Center (750 Richmond Beach Road, Tappahannock, VA 22560)
- Virginia Beach-Buckner Customer Service Center (3551 Buckner Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA 23453-5101)
- Waynesboro Customer Service Center (998 Hopeman Parkway, Waynesboro, VA 22980)
CDL testing is also available by appointment at the following six CDL testing sites: Abingdon, Chester, Manassas, Martinsville, Middletown and Suffolk. Contact the CDL testing location nearest you to schedule an appointment.[Back to Top]
Health and Safety
When you arrive at DMV, you will notice our offices look a little different. Customer service representatives will be spread out, working every other service window. They’ll be wearing face coverings and may be wearing gloves. Counters will have clear plastic partitions, like bank teller windows, and fewer chairs will be spaced out in the lobbies.
DMV has increased the frequency and scope of janitorial service. We take the health and safety of our customers and employees very seriously and are following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Virginia Department of Health guidance as we gradually welcome our customers back to DMV offices.
Customers should not come for an appointment if they are feeling ill or have any reason to believe they may have been exposed to COVID-19. Customers must wear face coverings while in the office pursuant to Governor Northam’s Executive Order 63. (Face coverings must be removed while a DMV employee is taking your photo for a license or identification card.)
Customers and employees are asked to conduct personal health assessments, asking themselves the following questions before reporting to an appointment or to work:
- Today, or in the past 24 hours, have I had any of the following:
- A new dry, persistent cough?
- Fever greater than 100.3? (If you have a thermometer at home, consider checking your temperature.)
- Shortness of breath, even at rest?
- Difficulty breathing?
- Very sore throat?
- Sudden onset of extreme fatigue?
- Repeated shaking with chills?
- Muscle aches all over (not just pain in a specific area)?
- New loss of taste or smell?
- Am I awaiting COVID-19 test results?
- In the past 14 days, have I had close contact with a person known to be infected with COVID-19 or who is awaiting COVID-19 test results? Close Contact means being physically close (less than 6 feet) to a person infected with COVID-19 for a minimum of 10 minutes OR having been coughed on by a person infected with COVID-19.
If customers or employees respond "yes" to any question or subpart of a question, they are to remain home.
Thank you for working with us during these challenging times. We are YOUR DMV.[Back to Top]