Out-of-State Motorcycle Classification
Effective July 1, 2009, Virginia law allows any person who holds a valid Virginia driver's license and is an active member, the spouse of a member, or a dependent of a member of the United States Armed Services stationed outside of Virginia to be issued a motorcycle classification by mail.
Active Duty Military/Spouse or Dependent of Active Duty Military
- Complete and sign the Driver's License Application, (Form DL1P). Note: You may also apply to register to vote or change your voter registration address by completing the appropriate sections on DL1P.
- Submit a copy of military orders, or a certification letter, on U.S. Government letterhead, signed by a commanding officer/supervisor, stating you are in the military service or a spouse or dependent of an active military person and where you are stationed.
- Submit a copy of your active duty military identification card (front and back).
- Submit your U.S. military-approved basic motorcycle rider training course certificate.
- Submit a $20.00 replacement fee, as well as, the $2 per year motorcycle classification fee (see chart below) for
each year of validity remaining on the driver's license either by check or by faxing a License, ID Card and Records Payment Authorization (form DMS 004).
License Expiration Classification Fee 1 year or less $2 Up to 2 years $4 Up to 3 years $6 Up to 4 years $8 Up to 5 years $10 Up to 6 years $12 Up to 7 years $14 Up to 8 years $16
- Provide a telephone number and an email address on documentation submitted for communication purposes, if necessary.
Submit completed information in the return envelope provided in the packet or mail directly to:
- Driver's License Preferred Services
- P. O. Box 27412
- Richmond, Virginia 23269-0001