Renewing Your Identification Card
DMV will mail you a renewal application prior to the expiration date of your ID card. To receive your renewal application on time, be sure to update your address with DMV. You may renew your ID card as early as six months prior to the expiration date on your current ID.
Your renewed Virginia ID card will expire on your birthday at the end of the period of years which the card has been issued.
The cost to renew your identification card is $2 per year (minimum $10; maximum $16).
Renew and Upgrade to a REAL ID
Before you renew, the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) wants to be sure you're ready for an upcoming, important change in federal identification requirements called REAL ID.
Beginning May 3, 2023, Virginians who wish to use their state-issued ID card to board a domestic flight must present a REAL ID compliant version of the card, marked by a small star in the upper-right corner. Other federally approved forms of ID will also be accepted, including a U.S. Passport or some military IDs. REAL ID also affects access to secure federal facilities and military bases, so visitors should verify identification requirements prior to their visit.
All applicants for a REAL ID compliant credential, including current Virginia credential holders, must apply in person. As the enforcement deadline for REAL ID approaches, DMV offices are expected to become increasingly busy, so beat the rush and upgrade now. For more information, visit DMV's REAL ID page.
ID Card Renewal Exceptions
If you are authorized to be in the U.S. temporarily and have been issued a limited duration ID card, the ID cannot be renewed. A subsequent ID will be processed as an original ID card, and proof of legal presence is required. You will not be eligible to receive a limited duration ID card, or permit if your authorized stay in the U.S. is less than 30 days from the date of your application.
If you hold a license of any kind, issued by any state within the United States, you are not eligible for an ID card unless you surrender the license. If you currently hold both a driver's license and ID card, you must surrender your driver's license before you can renew your ID card.
Every other cycle, you may renew your identification card online UNLESS:
- Your last ID card renewal was not completed at a customer service center.*
- You need a new image (photo) on your ID card.
- You are under the age of 18.
- Your identification card has expired.
- Your ID card is not due to expire within the next 6 months.
- Your name must be changed or corrected on your ID card.
- You owe money to DMV for a prior transaction.
- Your customer number on file needs verification.
- You do not have a Virginia address (unless you have qualified for aVirginia address requirement exception).
- You are required to provide proof of legal presence.
*NEW: Because of COVID-19, DMV is offering most current eight-year credential holders who are required to renew in person between September 2020 and December 2021 the option to use online services and obtain a new two-year driver’s license or ID card. This will postpone the requirement for those customers to visit a DMV customer service center until it is time for their next renewal. If you would like to renew your license for eight years, or if you need a REAL ID compliant driver’s license, you must still make an appointment at dmvNOW.com/appt to visit DMV in person. For more information, visit dmvNOW.com/2YRDL.
Renewing at a Customer Service Center
To renew your ID card at one of our customer service centers:
- Complete the Driver's License and Identification Card Application (DL1P) either before or after coming to a DMV office. You may use this form to notify DMV of a name or address change, to apply to register to vote, or to change your voter registration address.
- Present proof of legal presence (if your current ID card has expired or if you are holding a limited duration ID card).
- Present your current ID card.
- Have a new photo taken.
- Pay the fee. You may pay your renewal fee with cash, money order, check, check card or major credit card.