CDL Skills Test Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to take the CDL skills tests, you must:
- Meet the minimum age requirements:
- At least 18 years of age for an intrastate CDL
- At least 21 years of age for an interstate CDL
- Hold a valid Virginia driver's license. In addition, your driving privileges must not be currently suspended or revoked by any licensing jurisdiction.
- Have successfully completed all applicable CDL knowledge exams for the type of class and endorsement you wish to hold.
- Pass the required vision screening for commercial drivers.
- Provide a properly registered vehicle of the type you wish to drive for the on-road driving test.
- For the type of vehicle you wish to drive, you must:
- Be able to read and speak the English language sufficiently to:
- Converse with the general public,
- Understand highway traffic signs and signals,
- Respond to official inquiries, AND
- Make entries on reports and records.
Scheduling a CDL Test
For information on scheduling and taking these tests, refer to CDL Skills Tests.