Reasons for Attending a Driver Improvement Course
|Attendance Reason||Reason Code||Description of Reason||Safe Driving Points Information|
|Court Required||COU||Drivers required by the court to complete clinic.
NOTE: If you have not been to court, you are not court directed.
|A court document stating that the driver is to be awarded safe driving points must be presented to the clinic. Safe driving points will not be awarded if this documentation is not received by the clinic.|
|DMV Required||DMV||Drivers required by DMV to complete clinic.||Safe driving points are awarded for drivers 18 and over. Drivers under age 18 will not be awarded safe driving points if the clinic attendance was required by DMV.|
|Insurance||INS||Drivers completing the clinic to receive an insurance premium discount; eligibility must be verified with the driver's insurance company||No safe driving points are awarded.|
|Volunteer||VOL||Drivers completing clinic voluntarily||Safe driving points are awarded|
|Commercial Driver Court Required||CMC||Commercial driver (CDL) required by the court to complete commercial vehicle operator’s clinic||A court document stating that the driver is to be awarded safe driving points must be presented to the clinic. Safe driving points will not be awarded if this documentation is not received by the clinic.|
|Commercial Driver DMV Required||CMD||Commercial driver (CDL) required by DMV to complete a commercial vehicle operator’s clinic||Safe driving points are awarded|
|Commercial Driver Volunteer||CMV||Commercial driver (CDL) voluntarily completing a commercial vehicle operator’s clinic||Safe driving points are awarded|
When signing up for a clinic, you must:
- Let the clinic provider know your reason for attending the clinic.
- Provide a government-issued photo ID.
- If you are required by the court to attend a driver improvement clnic and the court has determined that you are to be awarded safe driving points, present this documentation to the clinic.
- The Points System
- Demerit points are assigned when you are convicted of a traffic violation and remain valid for two years from the date you commit the offense.
- Safe driving points are assigned for each full calendar year that you hold a valid Virginia driver’s license and drive without any violations or suspensions. In some cases, you may also earn safe driving points by completing a driver improvement clinic. Annual safe driving points are awarded in early April of each year for the previous calendar year.
- Find out more at Driver Improvement Program
- Driver improvement clinics are required to electronically report clinic completion information to DMV within 24 hours.
DMV is committed to promoting transportation safety through the certification of quality driving training programs. If you have any comments or concerns about a driver improvement course, call our toll-free number: 1-877-885-5790.