Driver Training Schools
Driver training schools offer driver education programs at sites around the state. Check your area for the site closest to you.
90-Minute Parent/Teen Component
- Students under age 18 in Planning District 8 (counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William and the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas and Manassas Park) must participate in this component, along with a parent or guardian, as part of the in-classroom portion of the driver education curriculum. The course must be completed in person.
- Students under age 18 outside of Planning District 8 may be required by their school division to participate in this component, along with their parent or guardian, as part of the in-classroom portion of the driver education curriculum. The course can be completed in person or online. To find which school divisions require the completion of this additional component, refer to School Divisions Requiring 90-Minute Parent/Teen Component.
- Student is at least 18 years old
- Student is an emancipated minor
- Unaccompanied minor who is not in the physical custody of their parent or guardian
Note: An "unaccompanied minor" is a minor that may be separated from his/her parents and living with others who do not have custody for a variety of reasons. After the student has completed his/her training, the student must check the appropriate box on the Virginia Driver Training Certificate (DTS B) regarding the exemption from the additional parent/student component of the driver education program and sign the certificate before the license is processed.
NOTE: The 90-minute parent/teen component is not currently available through an online driver training school. Students, along with their parent, guardian, or foster parent, can complete the component in person at their high school or at a driver training school or online at http://www.90minparentteen.org/. The 90-minute parent/teen component is not currently available through an online driver training school.
DMV is committed to promoting transportation safety through the certification of quality driver training programs.
For information about the laws governing driver training schools, refer to the Virginia Driver Training School Regulations.
If you have comments or concerns about this course, call our toll-free number: 1-877-885-5790.