JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Medical Certification Requirements - FAQs

What are the self-certification categories?
There are four categories:
  • Excepted Interstate (EI)
  • Excepted Intrastate (EA)
  • Non-excepted Interstate (NI)
  • Non-excepted Intrastate (NA)
How do I determine which type of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) operation I should self-certify to?
In order to comply with the medical certification requirements, it is important to know how you are using your CMV. To help you decide, follow these steps:
Do you, or will you, use your CDL to operate a CMV in interstate or intrastate commerce? Interstate commerce is when you drive a CMV:
  • From one State to another State or a foreign country;
  • Between two places within a State, but during part of the trip, the CMV crosses into another State or foreign country; or
  • Between two places within a State, but the cargo is part of a trip that began or will end in another State or foreign country.
Intrastate commerce is when you drive a CMV within a State and you do not meet any of the descriptions above for interstate commerce. Note: If you operate in both intrastate and interstate commerce, you must choose interstate commerce.
Once you have determined that you operate or will operate in interstate or intrastate commerce, you must determine whether you operate (or expect to operate) in a non-excepted or excepted status. This decision will tell you to which of the four types of commerce you must self-certify. You operate in excepted status when you drive a CMV only for the following excepted activities:
  • To transport school children and/or school staff between home and school;
  • As a federal, state or local government employee;
  • To transport human corpses or sick or injured persons;
  • Fire truck or rescue vehicle drivers during emergencies and other related activities;
  • Primarily in the transportation of propane winter heating fuel when responding to an emergency condition requiring immediate response such as damage to a propane gas system after a storm or flooding;
  • In response to a pipeline emergency condition requiring immediate response such as a pipeline leak or rupture;
  • In custom harvesting on a farm or to transport farm machinery and supplies used in the custom harvesting operation to and from a farm or to transport custom harvested crops to storage or market;
  • As a beekeeper in the seasonal transportation of bees;
  • Controlled and operated by a farmer, but is not a combination vehicle (power unit and towed unit), and is used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery or farm supplies (no placardable hazardous materials) to and from a farm and within 150 air-miles of the farm;
  • As a private motor carrier of passengers for non-business purposes; or
  • To transport migrant workers.
If you answered yes to one or more of the above activities as the only operation in which you drive, you operate in an excepted status and do not need a Federal medical examiner's certificate.
If you answered no to all of the above activities, you operate in non-excepted status and are required to provide a current medical examiner's certificate (49 CFR 391.45),commonly referred to as a medical certificate or DOT card to DMV or have a Virginia state approval letter. Most CDL holders who drive CMVs are non-excepted interstate commerce drivers.
Note: If you operate in both an excepted status and non-excepted status, you must choose the non-excepted status to be qualified to operate in both types of commerce.
I no longer drive a commercial motor vehicle but still have a CDL. Will I be required to submit the a CDL Self Certification form (DL 8) form?
Yes, all existing CDL holders will be required to submit a DL8 form. Based on your certification category, you may also be required to submit additional medical documentation.
I am required to carry my medical examiner's certificate and, if applicable, my medical variances/waivers/SPE. Why do I need to provide DMV with a copy of it?
Federal law requires DMV to record and maintain a copy of all current medical examiner's certificates and variances/waivers/SPEs in its system.
Why do I need to have a new CDL issued to me on or after January 30, 2012, if I have been granted a variance/waiver/SPE?
DMV is required by law to display a "V" under Restrictions for any driver that has been granted a variance/waiver/SPE.
What will happen if I do not submit the CDL Self Certification form (DL 8) form and/or any applicable medical documents by January 30, 2014?
DMV is required by law to mark any record that does not comply with this requirement as "not certified" and initiate a downgrade of your CDL privilege.
Can I mail or fax the CDL Self Certification form (DL 8) form and if applicable, my medical document(s) prior to January 30, 2012?
Yes. You may mail or fax the DL8 form and if applicable, your medical documents(s) to DMV, or you may submit your information electronically.
How long will it take for my medical examiner's certificate to be updated in the system?
Federal law requires that the information from the medical examiner's certificate be posted to the customer's record within 10 business days.

For additional information regarding the medical certification requirements, please refer to Medical Information or contact us.

See Also