JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Additional Documents for a Commercial Driver's License or Commercial Learner's Permit

In addition to meeting Virginia’s licensing requirements, all applicants for an original, renewal, or replacement CDL or commercial learner’s permit will also be required to present one of the following documents:

For U.S. Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents of the United States

  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
  • Official birth document issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory (Birth documents issued by a hospital, notifications of birth registration, and foreign birth certificates are not accepted.)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (FS-240)
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad (FS-545)
  • Certification of Report of Birth of a U.S. Citizen (DS-1350)
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
  • Unexpired permanent resident card (I-551)

NOTE: If you have presented one of the documents above to DMV since January 1, 2004, you will not be asked to do so again.

For Applicants Domiciled in a Foreign Jurisdiction

  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD Form I-766) (not acceptable for REAL ID)
  • Unexpired foreign passport accompanied by an approved I-94 form documenting the most recent admittance into the U.S.