Additional Documents for a Commercial Driver's License or Commercial Learner's Permit
In addition to meeting Virginia’s licensing requirements, all applicants for an original, renewal, or replacement CDL or commercial learner’s permit will also be required to present one of the following documents:
For U.S. Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents of the United States
- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
- Official birth document issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory (Birth documents issued by a hospital, notifications of birth registration, and foreign birth certificates are not accepted.)
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (FS-240)
- Certificate of Birth Abroad (FS-545)
- Certification of Report of Birth of a U.S. Citizen (DS-1350)
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
- Unexpired permanent resident card (I-551)
NOTE: If you have presented one of the documents above to DMV since January 1, 2004, you will not be asked to do so again.
For Applicants Domiciled in a Foreign Jurisdiction
- Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD Form I-766) (not acceptable for REAL ID)
- Unexpired foreign passport accompanied by an approved I-94 form documenting the most recent admittance into the U.S.