JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Household Goods Carrier

Type of Operation

Household Goods Carrier


A person who transports only household goods.

Household Goods - personal effects and property used or to be used in a dwelling, when transported or arranged to be transported (i) between residences or (ii) between a residence and a storage facility with the intent to later transport to a residence. Transportation of such goods must be arranged and paid for by, or on behalf of, the householder.

Authority Document

Operating Authority Certificate or License Application (form OA150)

Operating Requirements

  • This certificate authorizes your operations only in Virginia.
  • You are limited to transporting household goods as defined above.
  • For deliveries over 30 miles, you must charge the same rates as listed in the tariff filed with DMV.
  • Before you can change your rates, you must
    • notify DMV at least 30 days before you wish to make the change, and
    • have received written approval from DMV.
  • You or your agent may publish a joint tariff with another carrier(s) if a power of attorney or notice of concurrence is filed with DMV. You must send written notification to DMV, at least 60 days in advance, before you can revoke the power of attorney or notice of concurrence.
  • A copy of the bill of lading must be carried when you are transporting the household goods.
  • You must maintain a copy of the bill of lading at your place of business for at least three years.
  • If you receive a written claim of loss or damage, you must:
    • On the claim itself, write the date you received it.
    • Within 30 days, send the claimant a written acknowledgement of receipt of the claim.
    • Within 120 days, you must:
      • Pay the claim, or
      • Send written notification that you decline to pay the claim, or
      • Make a firm compromise settlement offer in writing.
  • If the claim is not processed or disposed of within 120 days, send the claimant a written report of the status of the claim every 30 days, along with the reasons for the delay.
  • You may not, by contract or otherwise, shorten the length of time a person has for filing a claim to less that 30 days or shorten the time for filing a suit to less than two years.

Tariff Requirements

Tariff: You must file a tariff that includes all of your rates and any rules, policies or guidelines you will impose on your customers. See Sample Tariff for Household Goods Carriers (form OA450).

Insurance Requirements

$750,000 Bodily Injury and Property Damage

$50,000 Cargo Note: Effective 01/01/2018, you are not required to carry cargo insurance if you transport household good exclusively in passenger cars, motorcycles, autocycles, mopeds or vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.

Bond Requirements

You must keep a $50,000 surety bond or letter of credit on file with DMV's Motor Carrier Services for five years from the date your operating authority certificate is issued. Refer to See Household Goods Carrier Bond (form OA436) or the Property Irrevocable Letter of Credit (form OA456).

Registration and License Plate Requirements

See: Registration and License Plate Requirements

Vehicle Registration: Must be registered as for-hire

Operating Authority Registration:

  • Non-apportioned (not IRP registered) Vehicles - The operating authority information will be displayed on the vehicle registration card when the for-hire license plates are issued.


$50 filing fee

$10 annual fee per vehicle. This fee does not apply to passenger cars, motorcycles, autocycles, mopeds, or vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.

$3 for a duplicate certificate

Miscellaneous Requirements

Address Change - You must report any new address to DMV's Motor Carriers Services within 30 days.

Discontinuing Service - If you go out of business or stop providing the service authorized, you must notify DMV in writing within 30 days.