As representatives of the Commonwealth, each employee of the Department of Motor Vehicles shares responsibility for demonstrating professional excellence, ensuring service quality and honoring the laws of the land.
- Demonstrate loyalty, good management and competence.
- Treat everyone fairly, impartially and with respect.
- Promote teamwork, open communication and an atmosphere of mutual trust.
- Offer solutions when challenges arise.
- Learn continuously—stay informed and excited about our services.
- Share knowledge freely to promote success.
- Support and encourage those who make mistakes as they strive for excellence.
- Display a professional appearance.
- Support and promote agency decisions and initiatives.
- Ensure that others receive credit for their work and contributions.
- Represent the agency and the Commonwealth with excellence.
- Always put the customer first.
- Greet customers with courtesy and a smile.
- Listen carefully and show customers that we care.
- Understand customer concerns before attempting to address them.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm and a sense of immediacy in service delivery.
- Provide clear, accurate and consistent information to all customers.
- Explain alternatives and possible outcomes.
- Actively seek new ways to improve customer service.
- Provide colleagues the same courtesy and responsiveness as customers.
- Uphold the laws of the United States and the Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Safeguard the Commonwealth’s resources.
- Guard against conflict of interest and the appearance of impropriety (e.g., nepotism, improper outside employment, misuse of public resources, or acceptance of gifts)
- Oppose all forms of discrimination and harassment.
- Respect and protect privileged information and the privacy of individuals.
- Conduct official acts without partisanship.
- Take responsibility for one’s actions.
- Act with honesty and integrity at all times .