Who We Are
Virginia's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) serves a customer base of approximately 6.2 million licensed drivers and ID card holders with over 8.4 million registered vehicles. DMV has more daily face-to-face contact with Virginia's citizens than any other state agency. DMV also serves a wide array of businesses, including dealers, fuels tax customers, rental companies, driving schools, other state agencies, local governments and non-profit organizations.
Through our headquarters in Richmond, DMV operates 76 customer service centers, 60 DMV Select offices, 13 permanent motor carrier service centers (weigh stations), three Customer Call Centers, and a website that offers more than 50 transactions.
What We Do
DMV's responsibilities include vehicle titling and registration, driver licensing and maintenance of driver and vehicle records. The agency also collects Virginia's fuel tax, monitors the state's trucking industry and serves as Virginia's Highway Safety Office. In addition, the agency effectively enforces motoring and transportation-related tax laws, and efficiently collects and distributes transportation-related revenues.
During the 2022 fiscal year, DMV collected $3 billion in revenue for Virginia's transportation programs. The agency's FY22 operating budget was $282 million.
The agency also provides a convenient portal for citizens to access other state agency services.
Our Mission-Purpose and Vision
- Our Mission-Purpose: superior service - secure credentials - saving lives.
- Our Vision: to be Virginia's most trusted service provider.
- Ensure that credentials are issued in an accurate, secure and efficient manner.
- Provide customers with the information they need to access DMV services and comply with state laws and regulations.
- Improve the safety of Virginia's highway system.
- Accurately collect and manage transportation data.