JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

What To Do With Your License Plates

Sold, traded or no longer operate your vehicle? Moved out of Virginia?

If so, Virginia law requires you to immediately surrender your license plates and/or vehicle registration to a DMV customer service center.

How To Permanently Surrender Plates

  • Use DMV's Online Plate Surrender to report the surrender of your plates. You will not be eligible for a refund on the cost of registration fees for this vehicle.
  • Drop off your plates at a customer service center. No appointment is necessary. You may be eligible for a refund on the cost of registration fees for this vehicle.

If your registration expires in six months or later and you have surrendered your plates at DMV, you may qualify for a partial refund.* Complete an Application for Vehicle Registration (FMS-210) and return it to DMV. Refunds generally take 30 days to process.

Partial refunds do not include all fees paid at the time of registration. Fees not refunded are Highway Use fees, one-time plate reservation fees, Virginia Road Tax for heavy trucks and any late fees.

*Does not apply if you used Online Plate Surrender.

Online Plate Surrender

How To Deactivate Plates

You may temporarily deactivate your license plates and registration if you have a need to cancel your liability insurance coverage, but wish to keep your license plates. Do not cancel your insurance until you have completed this process.

If you cancel your insurance while your license plates and registration are active, your driving and vehicle registration privileges could be suspended.

Deactivate plates and registration

How To Transfer Plates

Complete a License Plate Application (VSA-10) and visit a customer service center to complete the transfer transaction.

What To Do With Old Plates

Once you receive your new (replacement) plates, you may destroy the old plates.