JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Selling/Donating A Vehicle

These steps will give you the information you need to sell or donate your vehicle:

 More videos

1. Sign your vehicle title over to the buyer/recipient.

On the front of the title in Section A, sign your name, provide the name and address of the buyer/recipient and the odometer reading of the vehicle. If you are selling the vehicle, complete "Sales Price" which is also in Section A. If you are donating the vehicle, write "charitable gift" as the sale price on the title.

2. Hand over the title to the buyer / recipient.

Give the title to the buyer/recipient and ensure the buyer/recipient completes the title with name, address and signature.

3. Remove your license plates from the vehicle.

  • If you purchase a replacement vehicle, you may transfer your old plates to the replacement vehicle.
  • If the plates are not transferred to another vehicle, you may return them to any DMV customer service center for recycling or destroy and dispose of them yourself. NOTE: If you have a full six months or more remaining in your vehicle registration period, you may qualify for a refund by returning the plates to DMV. Partial refunds do not include all fees paid at the time of registration. Fees not refunded are the Highway Use Fees, one-time plate reservation fees, Virginia Road Tax for heavy trucks, and any late fees. Complete an Application for Vehicle Registration Refund Form (FMS-210) and mail it with the license plates to the address shown on the form. Be sure to contact us stating the plates are inactive. You may also request a refund by returning the completed FMS-210 and plates to a Customer Service Center or DMV Select.

4. Notify DMV that you have sold, traded or donated the vehicle.

You must notify DMV that you have sold, traded or donated your vehicle. This may be accomplished by going online, visiting a customer service center or contacting us by phone.

Notify Us Now

If you purchase another vehicle, follow the steps for buying a vehicle.

5. Notify the insurance company that you sold, traded or donated the vehicle.

You must notify the insurance company when you have sold, traded or donated a vehicle. If you bought another vehicle, you may transfer insurance coverage to the new vehicle, providing the required information to the insurance company. Be sure to obtain liability insurance for the other vehicle before you register it with DMV and transfer the old plates or purchase new plates for it.

Avoid Future Problems: Insurance companies notify DMV whenever they cancel, add or write new coverage for a motor vehicle. Therefore, if your insurance company cancels liability coverage on your vehicle because you no longer own it and you don't notify DMV, our records will show that the vehicle is registered in your name but is uninsured. Since it is unlawful to have an uninsured registered vehicle, DMV may suspend your driver's license and vehicle registration privileges.

State Agencies:

Refer to state-owned vehicles for additional information.

You can also...