JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Reporting a Crash to DMV

The Department of Motor Vehicles maintains the official record of all reportable crashes occurring within the Commonwealth.

A driver, vehicle owner or a representative may report an accident to DMV by submitting an accident report (FR200), along with the Information Request Form (CRD-93) and a payment of $8.00.

Requests may be submitted either:

  • By mail:
    • Customer Records Work Center, Room 514
    • Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
    • Post Office Box 27412
    • Richmond, VA 23269
    Mailed requests must be accompanied by a check or money order, as DMV no longer accepts credit card payments via mail.
  • By fax at (804) 367-0390. A completed "License, ID Card and Records Payment Authorization" (form DMS 004) must also be submitted.
  • At a customer service center. Payment can be made as cash or by check, money order, or credit card.

Insurance Information

On the report, the individual may indicate that there is reason to believe the other vehicle involved in the accident was uninsured. In that case, DMV will send a request for insurance information to the other owner of the other vehicle specified in the report. If the owner of the other vehicle fails to respond or is found to have no insurance, an order of suspension is issued for the owner.

The vehicle owner or representative filing the accident report may request that DMV provide them with the insurance information obtained by using the information request form (CRD-93) and submitting payment.