Funds to Promote Occupant Protection
- Objective: To initiate programs and activities that will contribute to appropriate use of occupant protection devices, such as safety belts, airbags and child safety seats.
- Examples of Fundable Components
- Management - Program coordinator, other personnel
- Child Restraint Programs - Enforcement, public information/ education
- Corporate/Employer Programs - Incentives and public information/education
- Community Programs - Child restraint, corporate/employer, preschool/school age, enforcement, public information/education
- Enforcement - Training, equipment, operations, public information/education
- Survey - Opinion, observation, crash reports
- Pre/post occupant protection surveys
- Purchase of child safety seats only for law enforcement checkpoints, training and special needs
- Examples of Program Evaluation Measures
- Fatalities and injuries (except pedestrian and motorcycle/ bicycle). Head injuries and fatalities related to occupant protection usage and non-usage.
- Occupant protection usage rates for children and adults.
- Child Restraint and Corporate Employer Programs - Number and types of programs and percent of target population being reached by program.
- Enforcement - Number of total seat belt citations, total number of child safety seat citations, seat belt citations per shift/unit/hour, seat belt citations between 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., Thursday through Sunday or during other hours.
Source: The Guidelines for the Submission of Highway Safety Grant Applications.