JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Loss or Damages

Filing a Claim

If you have lost or damaged items as a result of a move, contact your mover for a claim form. Claims should be filed with the mover as soon as possible, but no later than 30 calendar days after delivery. Do not dispose of any damaged items or the packing materials used for those items since they will be needed for proof of damage.

On the claim form, list all damaged and lost items, including the age, original cost, and weight as well as a description of the damage. The mover may request estimates or may send a third party to assess the damages.

Claims will not be processed until you pay for the move in full.

If the mover denies liability for all or part of your claim, you may seek legal action against the mover. However, such action must be taken within two years from the date written notice was provided by the mover that your claim has been denied. Items believed to be stolen should be reported to the proper law enforcement authorities immediately.

Filing a Complaint

To file a complaint about a moving company, contact either: