Renew Your Driver's License While Outside of Virginia
Requesting a Renewal Packet
- You may request a driver's license renewal
packet. This packet will include:
- a Vision Screening Report form and instructions (form MED 4); and,
- the Driver's License and Identification Card Application (form DL 1P)
- a Re-Establishing your Virginia Residency or Qualifying for a Virginia Address Requirement Exception (form DMV 143)
- a License, ID Card and Records Payment Authorization (form DMS 004)
- a return envelope
- Complete and sign the application enclosed in the packet. For your convenience, you may apply to register to vote by mail when you complete the application. If you do not wish to take advantage of this option, tear off the top page and carbon before completing the application.
- Have the Vision Screening Report completed in English by an ophthalmologist, optometrist or the licensing authority where you are located.
- Return these materials in the return envelope, plus a check or money order in U.S. funds made payable to DMV for $32 or the completed credit card charge request card for credit card payment.
- Once DMV receives these documents, we will issue a license if you have a digital image available in DMV's records. If no digital image is available in DMV's records, you must visit a DMV customer service center to have your photograph taken, and if required, present proof of legal presence for the license to be issued.