JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Temporarily Outside of Virginia?

Driver's License and ID Cards

If you are temporarily living outside Virginia, you may:

  1. Renew your driver's license
  2. Obtain a Driver's License Extension:
  3. Obtain a replacement driver's license
  4. Obtain an International Driver's License


If you wish to keep your vehicle titled and registered in Virginia, notify DMV of your move so that we can change your mailing address. This will ensure that registration renewal information and other time-sensitive correspondence is sent to your temporary address.

While out of state, you must maintain vehicle liability insurance that meets Virginia’s required minimum coverage:

  • Bodily injury/death of one person: $25,000
  • Bodily injury/death of two or more persons: $50,000
  • Property damage: $20,000

NOTE: If you cancel your Virginia insurance policy and obtain coverage in another state, you may be asked to furnish policy information to DMV for verification.

If you cancel insurance because your vehicle has been placed in storage or will not be driven while you are living outside of Virginia, you must deactivate your plates and registration. This will allow you to keep your license plates during the period of non-use and avoid severe penalties that may be imposed if the vehicle is subsequently found uninsured.

You can easily deactivate or reactivate license plates online or by calling DMV at (804) 497-7100.

To reactivate your license plates and registration, you must:

  • Have no outstanding tax obligations on your motor vehicle
  • Provide insurance policy information or pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee
  • Pay a $10 reactivation fee (if the vehicle registration has not expired)