JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

Intrastate Operating Authority - Exempt Operations

Some for-hire operations are not required to obtain For-Hire Intrastate Operating Authority. The list of exempt operations is displayed below.

Carriers With Both Exempt and Non-Exempt Operations

If you have both exempt and non-exempt operations, you must obtain operating authority. If you have vehicles that are used in both exempt and non-exempt operations, you must register the vehicles under your operating authority.

Exempt Property Carrier Operations

  • Motor vehicles that deliver property within the boundaries of the same Virginia city or town where the property was picked up.
  • Motor vehicles operated and used by a cooperative association that is a non-profit corporation and used only in its business.
  • Motor vehicles carrying only newspapers, water, livestock, poultry, poultry products, buttermilk, fresh milk and cream, meats, butter and cheese produced on a farm, fish, shellfish, slate, horticultural or agricultural commodities (not including manufactured products thereof), and forest products, including lumber and staves (but not including manufactured products thereof).
  • Motor vehicles transporting farm supplies to farms.
  • Motor vehicles hauling for the Department of Transportation.
  • Motor vehicles carrying fertilizer to warehouses for later distribution to local farms.
  • Motor vehicles collecting and disposing of trash, garbage, or refuse.
  • Motor vehicles used for transporting property by an air carrier or carrier affiliated with a direct air carrier whether or not such property has had or will have a prior or subsequent air movement.
  • Motor carriers exclusively operating passenger cars, motorcycles, autocycles, mopeds and vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less.

Exempt Passenger Carrier Operations

  • Motor vehicles that deliver passengers within the boundaries of the same Virginia city or town where the passengers were picked up.
  • Motor vehicles used only to transport school children and teachers.
  • Motor vehicles owned or operated by or for hotels used only to transport hotel guests between the hotel and local railroad or bus terminal or airport.
  • Motor vehicles operated under contract with the United States to transport only passengers.
  • Motor vehicles regularly transporting passengers within the boundaries of Virginia cities, towns and adjacent counties when the vehicles are operated by the county or under a contract with the county.
  • Motor vehicles operated under the exclusive control of a transportation district commission.
  • Motor vehicles used by non-profit, non-stock corporations supported by government funding and who transport passengers on regular or irregular routes under contract with four or more counties.
  • Ambulances issued a permit by the office of Emergency Medical Services.