Farm Vehicles

Vehicles used on a farm, as defined by the Code of Virginia, may be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or may remain unregistered. DMV issues license plates referred to as F-tags for registered farm vehicles. Unregistered vehicles do not display a DMV-issued license plate although they may have a sign or placard that says "Farm Use."

The following information explains the requirements for operating registered (F-tag) and non-registered farm vehicles, along with information on the appropriate use of dyed and undyed diesel fuel.