Your vehicle must meet Virginia's emissions inspection requirements if it is garaged in one of the localities listed below:
- Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William,
- Cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park
Inspections are valid for two years and may be obtained by having your vehicle inspected by a certified emissions
inspection station. Your DMV vehicle record will be updated automatically by the emissions station when you have your vehicle inspected. Results of the inspection are usually transmitted to DMV within 24 hours.
No vehicle subject to an emissions inspection will be registered or reregistered by DMV until it has passed an
emissions inspection or has been issued an emissions inspection waiver due to repair costs that exceed a repair
To find out fees and other information about the emission inspection program, please contact
the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality at 703-583-3900 or toll-free in
Virginia at 1-800-275-3844.
- If your vehicle is being registered for the first time in Virginia and has a current valid emissions certificate
(performed in the last 12 months) from one of the following states, it may be titled and registered without
a Virginia emissions inspection:
Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland,
Massachusetts, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee,
Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin
- Motor vehicles exempted from emissions inspections include:
- Gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year that is more than
25 years old before January 1 of the current calendar year.
As an example, vehicles with a model year of 1984 are exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2009;
vehicles with a model year of 1985 will be exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2010.
Vehicles 25 years old or older qualify as antique motor vehicles but are not required to display antique license
plates to qualify for the emissions exemption. Although exempt from the emissions inspection, the $2
emissions fee is required when renewing these registrations.
- Gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a manufacturer's designated
gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.
- Diesel powered vehicles
NOTE: Diesel powered vehicles are not exempt from the emissions testing
program requirements when they have:
- A model year newer than 1996, and
- A Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 8,501 lbs., (if GVWR is not available, empty and gross
weights will be used) and
- A registration that expires in July 2007 or later.
- Vehicles exclusively powered by clean fuel, including compressed or liquified
natural gas, electricity, or solar energy
- Vehicles being titled for the first time in Virginia with a Manufacturer's Certification of Origin (MCO).
- Qualified hybrid motor vehicles - Toyota Prius and Honda Insight model year 2007 or earlier, and
the 2010 Toyota Prius. All Toyota Prius and Honda Insight models are subject to the $2 per year emissions fee
when renewing the vehicle registration as required by the DEQ, Virginia
Code § 46.2-1182.1.
Emissions Inspections and Vehicle Registrations
To avoid delays in obtaining your vehicle registration from DMV, have your emissions inspection completed before you
apply to DMV for registration.
Don't forget, you can renew your vehicle registration via
by mail, or at
any customer service center.
If needed, a one-month registration extension may be requested in person at a DMV Customer Service Center or DMV Select location. This extension will allow you to drive legally for one additional month, in order to obtain the required emissions inspection. A $10 administrative fee will be charged and prorated registration fees will be collected for the one-month registration period. In order to be eligible, your vehicle registration must be valid and scheduled to expire in the month requested. It is important to note that only one extension will be granted per registration period.