JavaScript must be enabled in order for you to use DMVNow in standard view. However, it seems JavaScript is either disabled or not supported by your browser. To use standard view, enable JavaScript by changing your browser options, then try again. To get the best experience, you'll need to upgrade to a modern browser.
Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov

All-Terrain Vehicles, Off-Road Motorcycles, Other


All-terrain Vehicle
Defined by Virginia Code § 46.2-100 as a motor vehicle having three or more wheels that is powered by a motor and is manufactured for off-highway use. This definition does not include go-carts or any riding lawn mower.
Farm Utility Vehicle
Defined by Virginia State Code § 46.2-100 as a vehicle that is powered by a motor and is designed for off-road use and is used as a farm, agricultural, or horticultural service vehicle, generally having four or more wheels, bench seating for the operator and a passenger, a steering wheel for control, and a cargo bed. This definition does not include utility pickup or panel trucks, golf carts, low-speed vehicles, or riding lawn mowers.
Described by Virginia State Code § 46.2-100 as having a low center of gravity and typically used for racing on relatively level surfaces.
Golf Cart
Described by Virginia State Code § 46.2-100 as a self-propelled vehicle designed to transport persons playing golf and their equipment on a golf course.
Off-road Motorcycle
Defined by Virginia Code § 46.2-100 as any motorcycle designed exclusively for off-road use by an individual rider with not more than two wheels in contact with the ground.
Utility Vehicle
Defined by Virginia State Code § 46.2-100 as a motor vehicle that is designed for off-road use, powered by a motor, and used for general maintenance, security, agricultural, or horticultural purposes. This definition does not include riding lawn mowers.


  • New all-terrain vehicles or off-road motorcycles powered by a gasoline or diesel engine displacing more than 50 cubic centimeters must be titled. You may request to have a used all-terrain vehicle or off-road motorcycle titled for the purpose of recording a lien, documenting proof of ownership or any other reason. All-terrain vehicles and off-road motorcycles are not required to be registered.
  • Operation of all-terrain vehicles on any public highway or other private property is prohibited by Virginia State Code § 46.2-915.1, unless authorized by proper authorities, to the extent necessary to cross a public highway by the most direct route, or operated by law-enforcement officers, firefighters, or emergency medical services responding to emergencies.
  • Operators of all-terrain vehicles must be at least age 16. However, children between the age of 12 and 16 may operate all-terrain vehicles if powered by engines of no more than 90 cubic centimeters displacement. Children less than age 12 may operate all-terrain vehicles powered by engines of no more than 70 cubic centimeters displacement.
  • Any person operating an all-terrain vehicle must wear a protective helmet.

Titling Your ATV Or Off-Road Motorcycle

Follow the steps below to title your all-terrain vehicle or off-road motorcycle in Virginia.

Step 1. Present the following documents

  • Completed "Application for Certificate of Title and Registration" (VSA-17A). You will not have to provide the odometer reading for the all-terrain vehicle or off-road motorcycle.
  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) or Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO). The motorcycle dealer license number must be provided.
  • Virginia title or out-of-state title signed over to you as the owner, if the vehicle is used and you would like to title the vehicle. Virginia law does not require titling of used all-terrain vehicles or off-road motorcycles.
  • Bill of sale from selling dealer.
  • Provide proof of address.

Step 2. Pay the following titling fees

  • $15.00 titling fee. Any all-terrain vehicle or off-road motorcycle purchased and used by a non-profit volunteer rescue squad is exempt from the titling fees. Proof must be provided that the rescue squad is registered as a non-profit volunteer squad.

Step 3. Select electronic or paper title

  • Instead of receiving the title in paper form, you may request that DMV retain an electronic record of the title to ensure the safety of your title.
  • If you select the electronic option, when you require a paper title, you may visit any customer service center and request one. You will be required to show proof that you are the registered owner. If no lien ever existed on the vehicle record and no paper title was previously issued, a one-time paper title will be issued at no fee. If a lien existed or a paper title was previously printed, the substitute title fee will be charged. Note: If the lien is an electronic lien and the lien has been released, a one-time paper title will be issued at no fee, provided it has not been printed already.
  • If you are unable to visit a customer service center, you may request in writing or apply online to have a paper title sent to you. The paper title will be mailed to your address on record with DMV, providing there are no held or stop conditions on the record. Send your written request and payment (if applicable) to:
    • Virginia DMV
    • Attn: Titles and Registration Work Center
    • PO Box 27412
    • Richmond, VA 23269