Traffic Safety Boards, Committees and Councils
Traffic Records Coordinating Committee (TRCC)
Virginia's TRCC is comprised of 13 member agencies and organizations whose mission is to provide oversight and direction to Virginia's long-range, strategic traffic record initiatives for the optimal advancement, collection, accessibility and analysis of more efficient and effective statewide traffic crash data.
The Virginia TRCC has created and is implementing its 408 Strategic Plan for Traffic Safety Information Systems to meet its goal of developing an enhanced, strategic traffic records management consortium for the shared purpose of collecting relevant, accurate, timely, complete, integrated and accessible data by applying the latest advances in information systems technology.
Virginia Surface Transportation Safety Executive Committee (STS)
A multi-secretariat, executive committee with the role of ensuring consistent communication and cooperation among all safety stakeholders. The purpose of the Committee is to identify Virginia's key safety needs and guide decisions to achieve significant reductions in injuries and deaths on all public roads. The Executive Committee is comprised of federal, state, local, and private sector safety stakeholders.
Crash Outcome Data Evaluation System Board of Directors
The purpose of CODES, www.vacodes.org, is to reduce deaths, non-fatal injuries, and health care costs resulting from motor vehicle crashes by providing actionable information to support highway safety decision-making. Information is provided at the local, regional, and State level. Virginia CODES combines Virginia crash data with injury, health outcome, charge and cost data.
Council members are appointed by the Governor and include the following:
- One member of the House of Delegates and the Senate of Virginia
- Representatives from each of the following state agencies:
- Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
- Virginia Economic Development Partnership
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Department of State Police
- Department of Transportation
- Virginia Tourism Authority
- Representatives from Virginia's sheriffs, police chiefs, and the Board of Transportation Safety
- Sixteen citizen members appointed by the Governor.
- The Secretaries of Commerce and Trade, Public Safety, and Transportation serving as ex officio members.