Walking is an excellent form of exercise that most anyone can do. If you plan to walk in an area where there is vehicular traffic, you should be aware of safe walking and driving practices. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:
- Wear light colors so that motorists can see you.
- Use crosswalks whenever possible.
- When crossing a street, look left, look right and look left again.
- When walking at night, wear reflective clothing or consider using a flashlight so that you are more visible to motorists.
- Dusk and dawn are the most dangerous times of the day for pedestrians. If you are walking or jogging, walk against the traffic and wear reflective clothing.
- Drinking and walking can be as dangerous as drinking and driving. A pedestrian who has been drinking may not be aware of surroundings and may walk in front of traffic.