Virginia Highway Safety Office News ReleasesFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, February 09, 2015
Media Contact: Pam Goheen
Department of Motor Vehicles
Transportation Safety Awards Recognize Crash Reduction Efforts
Applications Due March 6, 2015
RICHMOND - The outstanding efforts made by individuals and organizations to change the behaviors of Virginia's motorists leading to crash, injury and fatality reduction may be nominated for the 2015 Virginia Governor's Transportation Safety Awards. The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles' Highway Safety Office is accepting nominations through March 6, 2015 for 13 different transportation safety categories.
Entries will be judged on creativity, imagination, uniqueness, the impact on the community, and the use of volunteers and private sector resources. Individuals, organizations, businesses or government agencies are eligible for these awards based on transportation safety activities and programs that took place during 2014. The award categories include:
- Lifetime Safety Achievement Award - Presented to an individual who has made significant contributions on behalf of transportation safety initiatives and programs throughout their lifetime.
- Employer Safety - Awarded to employers who promote traffic safety initiatives and encourage their employees to practice safe driving behaviors.
- General Traffic Safety - Presented for outstanding efforts in changing attitudes and behaviors regarding transportation safety. Individuals/organizations demonstrating achievement in the design, development and/or implementation of engineering techniques that reduce crashes on Virginia's highways will also be considered.
- Impaired Driving - Recognizing efforts to promote alcohol- and drug-free driving.
- Law Enforcement - Awarded to law enforcement personnel who have shown extra initiative in advancing transportation safety in their community.
- Media - Awarded to media representatives or news outlets that help encourage traffic safety through fair and accurate reporting or programming.
- Motor Carrier Safety - Presented for advancing transportation safety in the motor carrier industry through educational programs and activities.
- Motorcycle Safety - Awarded to an individual or group that educates motorists and motorcyclists about motorcycle safety.
- Occupant Protection – Recognizing efforts to promote safety belt or child safety seat use through innovative programs and activities.
- Pedestrian/Bicycle Safety - Presented for advancing safe walking and bicycling behaviors.
- Public Transportation Safety - Presented for contributions made in educating drivers and riders about safe public transportation practices.
- Pupil Transportation Safety - Presented for encouraging and promoting safety in pupil transportation thus improving safety for drivers and riders.
- Youth Traffic Safety - Presented to individuals or groups that educate youth about the importance of traffic safety.
Download a nomination form to obtain the eligibility requirements. Entries must be postmarked by March 6, 2015. Winners will be notified in May 2015. Nominations may be submitted by mail to:
The Governor's Transportation Safety Awards
Department of Motor Vehicles/Highway Safety Office
c/o Audrey Odum, Room 405
P.O. Box 27412
Richmond, Virginia, 23269-0001